Bacon, Crab Stuffed Portabellas… PRON

I took some baby portabella mushrooms and cored out the stem. Then drizzled some bacon drippings inside and seasoned them up, then stuffed the portabellas with a Crab, Bacon, Feta Cheese, Scallions and some Cajun Spices.

On The Grill
IMG_6639.jpg

Plated Up
IMG_6649.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pasties

When we hit the pubs, and after downing a few black and tans, we order meat pasties. So I figured I'd give them a try. I smoked a chuck, and foiled up some carrots, onion, and potatoes and threw them onto the UDS with the chuck.
pubstuff.jpg

pubuds.jpg

pubchuck.jpg

I cubed up the beef, potatoes, and carrots and also threw in some peas for the filling.
pubfilling.jpg

I cut the pie dough down to an 8 inch circle and filled with the mixture.
pubdough.jpg

pubstuffed.jpg

The edges were moistened with water and sealed. Then vented and hit with an egg wash, and baked in the WSM for about 30 minutes.
pubbaked.jpg

The plated pasties. Although they were good, I think a bit of practice might be in order:-D:wink:
Please use this shot for the entry, and thanks for looking.
pubplate2.jpg

G'Day Bruces'

Well, I finally pulled my finger out and got my entry ready.

Pubs in Australia are a great tradition. In fact, there are a lot places that are names as towns on the map, that are nothing but a Pub and a Church!

Firstly, I took a menu from a local Melbourne Pub, the Terminus in Abbotsford. I chose this hotel, because its one of the oldest in Melbourne and Abbotsford is the origin of our Carlton and United Breweries, which manufacture (amongst other decent beers) Farkin' Fosters Lager... which is Australian for "Swill".

Anyway, I digress... but first, log on here to get a feel for our Aussie Beer Drinking customs...

So, on the menu, I saw one thing that stood out... the "Termi Steak Sandwich"

So, I thought I would make a Termi Steak Sandwich, but meld it with time honoured low and slow USA BBQ cooking techniques...

So here goes:

First, I rubbed some chuck with Dizzy Pig Red eye Express... and fridged it overnight...
DSC_0066_1568.jpg

I also decided to make my own bread for this one...
DSC_0126_1625.jpg

DSC_0068_1570.jpg

In the afternoon, I firstly seared the chuckies for some lovely colour...
DSC_0073_1572.jpg

Then I warmed up some beef stock and onions..
DSC_0078_1577.jpg

And then set the temp to 250 and cooked indirect for a lot of hours with lump and some peach wood sticks
DSC_0082_1581.jpg

A lot later....
DSC_0084_1583.jpg

The sliced up some of my home smoked canadian bacon, and fried up some eggs...
DSC_0087_1586.jpg

Looking GOOOD! The idea for replacing a porterhouse cut, with a cut of chuck, was to make a steak sandwich that was just totally tender and "bite through" That's something you just don't get with a steak sammich in Australia...

THIS was tender!
DSC_0094_1593.jpg

Here's some I pulled, just to show how tender... love the colour!
DSC_0102_1601.jpg

Oh, and here's a bit more Slim Dusty.

Ingredients ready!
DSC_0092_1591.jpg

This one was for Suzanne...
DSC_0098_1597.jpg

And this one for me!
DSC_0109_1608.jpg

A nice stack!
DSC_0110_1609.jpg

DSC_0113_1612.jpg

And finally, I had this with an Abbotsford Invalid Stout, names after the suburb in Melbourne where it was first produced!
DSC_0120_1619.jpg

As for the Termi Steak Sandwitch itself... I think if I served this to to an Aussie, they'd be bloody amazed. The flavour of the beef with the Dizzy pig was really powerful, and the tenderness is something that you just don't get out of a regular grilled steak at all! I need to work on the bread a bit, but it was fun.

Hope you guys like it... a bit of Australia with a low and slow touch... REAL Pub Food!

Chris... not sure which pic to use for the TD... can you pick from the last 2 please!

Cheers!

Bill

The thread started off with a toast to Ireland, and being Irish, it got me thinking of traditions. Good ole Ireland, green as she is was not responsible for introducing Corned beef and cabbage as a staple Irish food.

That was more a reaction to the poverty the Irish immigrants to America often wound up in. But it has since, become a great American Irish pub staple.

I smoked the corned beef over Hickory for 4.5 hours at 250 degrees. Pulling at 165.

101_0736.jpg

Rubbed with Yellow mustard, Fresh cracked pepper, Crushed Bay leaf, Coriander, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Greek Seasoning and Paprika it turns out moist and tender, with a bark on the spicy (pepper) side. Nothing a little dab of Dijon mustard won't knock down.

101_0744.jpg

I've loved this meal for a long time and do it regularly for the family. Often using red potatoes, instead of mashed. But I was in a mashed potato mood and added sour cream and butter into the mash. Don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer my mashed potatoes to have lumps. To me smooth and creamy is not what mashed potatoes are about and anytime I get them that way I suspect a box was involved.

101_0746.jpg

Cabbage steamed just right and cut carrots in butter round out a great pub style meal. A tankard of O'hara's Irish stout rounds out the pub fare nicely....

The BBQQB

Guinness Beef and Mushroom Pie

A late entry, cook thread is here -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99345

I know there's another Guinness Pie entry in the throwdown. Here's mine. You can never have too much Guinness Pie. :-D

This is a tribute to my favorite restaurant in Worcester MA - O'Connor's Restaurant & Bar where their Guinness Pie is pretty outstanding. I've done a reasonably good job at matching it and here's the throwdown entry pic -

DSCN0069_l.jpg

-lunchman

Way nice pie, and no, ya never can have too much:thumb:

My wonderful wife said she would deep fry a couple of things since this is about pub grub (bar food in our neck of the woods) So, she deep fried some chicken strips and sweet potatoes and I fired up the Weber and did some wings. Some were sauced with Franks and some were just plain with only Blues Hog rub. Both were great and juicy. The deep fried finger were really nice with a lot of Italian flavor and the sweet potatoes.....just farking awsome. My camera spewed so this was the best I could salvage for pics. Was really good football/pub grub anyway.

Attachments

• P1230028.jpg
    P1230028.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 63
Again, great entries by everyone. I can't wait to see them all lined up in the vote thread. This is going to be another tough one to decide.

Great entries, gang!

Hey Bill... Exactly what part of the wallaby is the Bread Improver made from? :shock: :-D

Back