Best rub...

Bigbux58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered.... But what's the best commercial rub for ribs pork etc... Been using bad Byron's butt rub to great success. And thoughts?

I just did 18.5lbs of butt with Bad Byron's this weekend and it turned out great. But my go-to for ribs and butts is Plowboys Yardbird - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TT46DM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002TT46DM&linkCode=as2&tag=azilpla-20"]HERE[/ame]

"Best" is a big word. I dont know if there is such a thing

I just bought a few, tried Rib Tickler and Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction side by side on 2 half slabs, as I am looking for something milder for my wife.

Both were great. Very very happy with them...the best thing was I think they are very well balanced, no one dominating flavor like some rubs have

And I also tried Blues Hog sauce for the first time, it was great as well!!!

I also bought Big Poppas Money and Plowboys Yardbird, I will get to those soon!!!

not to be snarky, honestly, but do a search...you'll find many, many, many, many, many, many suggestions for rubs.

personally, i use oakridge secret weapon, smoking guns hot, salt and pepper, williams rib tickler, wicked, rub co., simply marvelous, plowboys, etc., etc., etc.,....you see where i'm going with this. ;)

there are so many, there is no "best". just whatya like.

I have a closet full of about 20 different commercial rubs. My wife and I do not agree on which is the best. And my friends prefer a third different rub.

Go here: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/rubs

If you spend more than $40, the shipping is free.
If you choose wisely, you'll end up with a half dozen types for less than $50.

watch what Bob says LOL

he got me hooked on the Big Poppa free shipping deal

The do have excellent service, and the items were all very professionally packed for shipping

I'll be the odd man out and say that in five minutes, you can mix up something yourself that is as good or better than most of the commercial rubs at a fraction of the cost. Most of them are very similar, anyway. Do a search for Pitmaster T's butt glitter for starters. Good stuff, and you can adapt it to suit yourself if you want to.

Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Although Mrs. Dash isn't bad either.

I can't pick just "one".

I'll be the odd man out and say that in five minutes, you can mix up something yourself that is as good or better than most of the commercial rubs at a fraction of the cost.

True, but the question was about commercial rubs.

Bigbux... There are a lot of Brothers who sell rubs. I've tried most of them and haven't found a bad one yet.Take a look at the Brethren Ventures section of the forum and you'll find a bunch of them listed. There are also Brothers who own BBQ supply businesses who sell a lot of rubs from Brethren owned businesses. I'm not going to try to list them all because I'll forget someone, and that isn't fair.

I will say that my go to rubs for ribs and butts are Plowboy's BBQ Yardbird and Simply Marvelous Cherry.

Yardbird or 3eyez. Yardbird is probably the heavyweight champ of pulled pork and rib rubs.

I've been meaning to try dizzy pig b/c i hear great things about them but just haven't gotten around to it. Also- Bigmista's rubs made a big splash here when he started sellin them, but I haven't heard much of them since.

SM cherry rub is good if you want a sweeter rub, and the peppered cow is great on brisket/steaks/burgers.

"Best" is such a subjective term. What's best for one, won't be for someone else. But for my taste, I'd have to agree with Ron on this one. Yardbird or SM Cherry suits me just right. :thumb:

It would wreck all the fun if we just told you. :tape:

Seriously though, there are so many good ones it's hard to pick just one. I would heed Ron's advice and visit the brethren sales and venture section. All of the Simply Marvelous rubs are exceptional. The SM Season All is good on every and I mean everything, if I had to pick one that you could use on whatever that would be it.

Some others that stand out to me are:

Oakridge Santa Maria.
The Rub Co. Competition Blend, I love the slight herbaceousness in there.
Plowboys Fin & Feather on poultry
3eyes is just plain awesome.
Big Butz chicken dust is one of my new fav's, Pig Pollen is very good as well.

Yardbird is the one that got me hooked but I've been going away from it lately, it just seems too salty.

Oh sorry, you said the best ONE right? :razz:

There are a lot of rubs on the market. I use BPS, THe Rub Co, 3EyZ and of course my own which is seven. Hit the Brethren Sales section and buy whatever you think you like. Each rub should have a description or name that speaks to what you are buying, i.e Spicy Apple.

depends on the day................
I like bad byrons, yardbird, 3 eyes, and any of the above used in combination with each other. we at work are planning a monster order from bigpoppas but we all cant make up our minds what we want. Kid in the candystore dilemma

Back