PopCorn

Well I use a Whirley popcorn maker on and electric burner. It is an aluminum pot with a top flip up lid. It also has a wooden crank that you turn and it has a small wire inside the pot.
I use peanut oil and white kernel popcorn.
I then add a bit of salt and some melted butter to the mix and eat.
Seems that left over buttered popcorn tastes much better then next day.
No special additions for us. I always considered a slight dusting of cayanne pepper but have not tried it.
This was the firehouse recipe that we used forever at work as well as what my kids loved at home........Simple but danged good my kids told me.

N8 Here is all you need to know. At the upper end grocery stores they sell coconut oil. It is what popcorn was popped in at the theaters years ago. It is a hard white solid at room temp and it will not caramelize like olive oil when heated. Put about 80% of the coconut oil you need for popping in the pan and the other 20% make up with bacon drippings. It won't taste like bacon and the coconut oil is very taste neutral. Pop and drizzle melted real butter and sprinkle salt on it and the party is over.
runnoft, OO doesn't caramelize when heated?

from the karo syrup website, one of my favorites..

Classic Caramel Corn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 quarts
Mazola Pure® Cooking Spray
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter OR margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250°F oven while preparing caramel.
Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container

N8man, this is almost the same recipe I use. Just one MAJOR change and everyone says it is the BEST caramel corn ever. Use HONEY instead of the Karo corn syrup and use real butter.

Well I use a Whirley popcorn maker on and electric burner. It is an aluminum pot with a top flip up lid. It also has a wooden crank that you turn and it has a small wire inside the pot.
I use peanut oil and white kernel popcorn.
I then add a bit of salt and some melted butter to the mix and eat.
Seems that left over buttered popcorn tastes much better then next day.
No special additions for us. I always considered a slight dusting of cayanne pepper but have not tried it.
This was the firehouse recipe that we used forever at work as well as what my kids loved at home........Simple but danged good my kids told me.

Have the same. Love it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1374719992&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Wabash Valley Farms 25008 Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I use whatever cooking oils around and usually straight up Orville popcorn. Butter and salt. Great every time.

Love bbq rub on popcorn but never sticks well. Any tips beyond dousing w butter? I'm sure someone will say mustard.

Good thread! I love popcorn.I have never made it from scratch. I love movie theater buttered popcorn. I have to believe that popcorn popped in bacon grease is awesome, even if it can kill me.

I'm not much into sweet popcorn. Small amounts are okay.

I need to follow this thread. Thanks N8.

CD
Popcorn cooked in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet on a kettle earned me a zero. The joke was on everyone that didn't vote for me, it was awesome.

I like Mills Magic Dust, Yardbird or Ted & Barney's on popcorn. My wife loves SM Sweet Seduction or SM Cherry. Otherwise we just do plain butter and salt. Always popped in Extra Virgin Coconut oil or bacon fat.

I'm lazy and use a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-82306-6-Quart-Electric/dp/B00004RC6R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374720990&sr=8-1&keywords=stir+crazy+popcorn+popper"]Stir Crazy[/ame] popper. I also use coconut oil from Snappy popcorn. You can mail order it [ame="http://www.snappypopcorn.com/productcart/pc/1-Jar-Snappy-Colored-Coconut-Oil-4p72.htm"]here[/ame] . They also have some great [ame="http://www.snappypopcorn.com/productcart/pc/8-5-oz-Shakers-c98.htm"]flavorings[/ame]. I like the Jalapeno the best.

Edit: I don't know what happened. I cannot get the hyper-links to work for the Snappy products. You will have to copy and past the links if you want to check them out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop it stovetop with some oil then sprinkle heavily with Tabasco (original) and a pinch of kosher salt. Makes it even better that the wife and kids won't steal it from me!

Pop it stovetop with some oil then sprinkle heavily with Tabasco (original) and a pinch of kosher salt. Makes it even better that the wife and kids won't steal it from me!

LOL! That one only works on my wife...........not my kids. They like the heat! They will have a drink in hand as they eat it, but they can't stop!:laugh:

Cooked in a big stainless bowl over a gas burner. Popcorn salt, the pink stuff with MSG in it. Melted butter. BRB got to whip some up now.

Popcorn, I love it! I found a brand new Whirley-Pop at my local thrift store about five years ago, and use it regularly. I always like traditional butter and salt, but when the wife and I are going to watch a movie at home I'll whip up my version of "elote" Mexican street corn-popcorn. I pop my corn in vegetable oil, and in a small pan on the stove melt about a half stick of butter, squeeze 1/2 a lime into warm butter, drizzle over popcorn in bowl, season with salt, grated Cotija cheese, or Parmesan, and Taijin Mexican seasoning. If you can't find Taijin, chili powder works well too. Having machetes handy is optional, depending if you are inclined to share or not.

In my teens, I went on an Outward Bound hiking trip and we'd make fireside popcorn, that our guide seasoned with salt, pepper, and brewers yeast of all things. Weird but delicious

Gosh. My popper is a brown paper sack. Just dump in what I want and microwave it on high till its done. I'm partial to butter and salt, but a good dose of Cajun spice is great too.

I usually take 1/2 stick of butter, melt about 1/3 of that in a 2.5 qt pan then toss in enough kernels to form a single layer on the bottom. Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle that over the popped corn and toss with salt.

Next time, though, I'm going to try popping it with bacon grease in the pan instead of butter.

My brother in law and his wife throw a couple of handfulls of milk chocolate M&M's in the bowl of popped corn, it's not bad.

Myself, I usually only eat popcorn when I am at work on weekends so it is microwave bags that I sprinkle season salt on.

I'm a HUGE popcorn fan, and have been making my own stove top or over a fire for probably 15 years (I'm 32). It's one of the first things I learned to cook well on my own. I am a big fan of the Whirly Pop that some of you have mentioned. Its my go-to Christmas gift if I have to give something to someone that "already has everything." I like plain old butter and salt, my wife likes to mix hers with something sweet - M&Ms or something like that. Rosemary and parmesan (fresh, not from the shaker) is a REALLY tasty combination. Also, butter and cajun spice is nice.

A movie theater around here sells what they bill as "bacon popcorn." Its just popcorn with bacon grease drizzled on top. Its pretty soggy and not good at all. I know some of the great minds on here can improve greatly on that! Thanks for starting a thread about my all time favorite food - popcorn!

P.S. I've often wondered what smoked popcorn would taste like. Thinking about popping some up the next time I have my UDS rolling, and then placing in a metal colander and setting in the smoker for just a couple of minutes.

I take my daughter to the farmer's market some Saturdays, and the best part is knocking out a whole bag of the kettle corn they make to order right before we leave. I need to figure out how to make that stuff, its very "crack-like"

Back