Easter side dishes

Holidays are tough times to try anything too fancy, especially when you're already doing one thing like duck, etc.... I'm doing lamb and ham, and we're making Cracker Barrel potato casserole... not fancy, but yummy!

cmcadams said:
One of my favorite sides, also quick and easy...

Cut the flowers off a cauliflower and add to a baking dish. Crush several cloves of garlic and add to the dish. Drizzle with EVOO, add salt and pepper, then bake at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Great roasted cauliflower (I like broccoflower even more, but cook it a few minutes less).

I had this last weekend at Uno's Restaurant - fabulous! The only difference I will try is a dash of grated Parmesean or Asiago cheese.

MrsMista said:
He forgot the copper pennies, which is the only way he can get me to eat carrots.

MrsMista
Copper Pennies Good.

Here is my recipe-an old southern one.

2 Pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 –inch slices

1 each medium green pepper, cut into thin slices

1 each medium red onion, cut into thin slices

1 can Tomato soup

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup sugar

¾ cup cider vinegar

1 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1. Boil carrots until cooked but still firm, about 10-12 minutes. Combine cooked carrots with sliced pepper and onion in a bowl.

2. Combine all remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over carrots, onions, and pepper. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Serve cold.

Makes 8 servings.

Here's a dirty rice recipe that I found:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/dirty-rice.html

I'm gonna make dirty rice for a pot luck at MrsMista's tax office. I've decided to detour (since I couldn't find any gizzards) and use fatties and turkey necks for the meat. Should be interesting. I'll post the results tomorrow.

qman said:
MrsMista
Copper Pennies Good.

Here is my recipe-an old southern one.

2 Pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 –inch slices

1 each medium green pepper, cut into thin slices

1 each medium red onion, cut into thin slices

1 can Tomato soup

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup sugar

¾ cup cider vinegar

1 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1. Boil carrots until cooked but still firm, about 10-12 minutes. Combine cooked carrots with sliced pepper and onion in a bowl.

2. Combine all remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over carrots, onions, and pepper. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Serve cold.

Makes 8 servings.

Have you been in my recipe box?

Bigmista said:
Have you been in my recipe box?

Nope, but it sounds like we might have a similar:eek: recipe here?
Mine originally came from an old boarding house in the panhandle of Florida. It has been around and published several times. My mom clipped it about 60 years ago from a newspaper and used it all the time.

MrsMista said:
He forgot the copper pennies, which is the only way he can get me to eat carrots.

Mrs, are you British????????????

I love copper coin salad, here in "Show Me" land we make it a little different.

Blanch your carrots and place in a bowl with onions and bell pepper, toss with Ott's Famous French Salad Dressing that's been warmed in a saucepan or microwave. Great stuff!!

http://www.ottfoods.com/history.html

Gots ta have green bean casserole man. I love waldorf salad my gramma used to make for holidays.

Simple Waldorf

4-5 large apples cubed
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
2-3 bannanas cubed
miracle goo (whip)

Mix everything in a big bowl and add miracle goo until everythings well coated, serve.

I love this chit man.

Back