My Mini-WSM Smoker Joe Build

Awesome idea

I saw this last night as I was playing around and thought it was the greatest idea. I remember over the weekend that Target had Smokey Joes on year end clearance. I headed on over today and just my luck, both the Smokey Joe & the Tamale pot were on sale. I will be started on this tomorrow. Thanks for the fun project.

I got a Smokey Joe silver at target for $15 bucks, then 1 week later they were 75% off so got another for $7.50 not that i need 2 but I couldn't pass up the deal. Probably build someone a mini with it they are so much fun.

I decided this would be my weekend project. A quick question.

Did your SJ lid fit perfectly on the 32quart tamale pot?

Mine does not fit it seems the SJ lid is just a bit too small.

I could take some pliers to it but that cracks the enamel.

Thought?

I decided this would be my weekend project. A quick question.

Did your SJ lid fit perfectly on the 32quart tamale pot?

Mine does not fit it seems the SJ lid is just a bit too small.

I could take some pliers to it but that cracks the enamel.

Thought?

Sorry to hear that. Mine fit perfectly. Instead of modding the lid what about just filing down the edges of the pot?

Sons of B#*ches! I had this same issue when building my UDS. Seems different regions are different diameters.

I'll play around with it and post up some pictures of the build once I make a decision.

GRRRRRR

I guess another option might be to drill some holes in the pot's lid and use it instead of the SJ lid.

Apparently the quality control in China was a bit off. I returned the pot and tried another. This time the lid fits perfect.

So, I'll continue to march today and get some pics up upon completion. Since my son likes to smoke and grill this will make the perfect Christmas gift for him.

That's good news, and that will be a great gift!

I love the build...especially the dog bowl idea. I've got a Smokey Joe gold that I use with my mini for that very reason.

I do NOT recommend the double. The legs will bend under the weight when they get hot. Every time I throw a couple of rib roast or pork butts in mine, the legs begin to bend out of shape. It's not a big deal during the cook, but I always notice the kettle is sitting slightly slanted the next time I attempt to use it.

However, if you find a work around on the legs and can make the double work, I would love to see it.

Awesome guide. I have a smokey joe I'm not using much so I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

Back