Great cornbread from Bread Baker's Apprentice (photos)

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm behind in my bread baker's apprentice challenge, but slowly catching up. I made cornbread yesterday, which is the best cornbread I've made, and that's even with a huge 'goof' in it. I was in a hurry, and I completely forgot to add the mixture of buttermilk and cornmeal that had been sitting out. The cornbread was still moist and had great flavor.

I'm making more of it today to take to a big party... this time, I won't forgot! The recipe uses cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, salt, honey, butter, flour, corn, and bacon, and I added jalapeno from my garden.

I started with corn cut fresh off the cob from a local farmer:
3821711195_805248780c_b.jpg

Put wet and dry together, and add jalapeno:
3822517618_d08a6ae28c_b.jpg

Bacon is crisped, and a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat are used to line the cast iron (recipe called for cake pan, but cast iron is my preference). Bacon pieces are just added to the top:
3821711663_cd5dab22aa_b.jpg

Even without the buttermilk, everyone loved the cornbread:
3821712111_2e716edbc4_b.jpg

Man, that looks really awesome!!! Is that recipe on your blog?

Man I love cornbread. That looks great.

I've got more on right now... done right this time. I did 2 batches, and one I added cheese on the top of the cornbread, with bacon on top of that.

Here are the 2 skillets of cornbread, with the buttermilk and cornmeal this time. I added cheese to the top of one of them.
3826205090_abc167b45e_b.jpg

Back