• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where do you find comps?

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty much a backyard cook for my friends kinda guy. But my buddy, who I've been teaching, finally bought a pit of his own and he's on my ass to go to a comp somewhere and just see what we've got. I have no aspirations, but I know my ribs are pretty good, and I can't see there being much better than basically camping and cooking overnight...I'll just have to think of Phil's house when I'm tired and pay someone to swat the empty Shaeffar cans off of me.

So I've done some searching, found some great packing lists. That'll help with figuring out what we need and what I can borrow from some friends. A pop up type tent, hopefully a trailer to get his and my pit to the place on, etc. There was a really extensive XLS that has everything it seems.

Probably the only thing I won't find on this site is a list somewhere of events to find one we can attend. I hit the KCBS site, there two near me in MO, one in Pacific relatively soon, and one in Herman, less than an hour from me, in late September. I've got my eye on that one.

How early do you typically have to sign up for these things? How much do they usually cost. I'm not looking to assemble the whole competition kit yet, so we'll use whatever we need to pack up from our own kitchens.

I'll go for the pearls of wisdoms if and when we actually decide to do this!

I use the KCBS site. If you are a KCBS member, they are also listed in the Bullsheet. Most contests have deadlines for entries and others fill up pretty fast. Shoot the organizer an e-mail for the ones you are interested in, they will be able to answer any of your questions. Cost varies, usually around 150 to 175. The GAB and the Royal are the the most expensive that I have entered. I have heard good things about the Hermann contest but have not attended myself.

If you are a KCBS member

Does it cost anything to join? Are most people members? Do you have to have a team name to join?

We have no idea what to name ourselves. Based on my pension for wearing Hawaiin shirts and absolutely no native blood in my veins I suggested "Aloha Q: Get lei'd with our meat."

Any of you basturds steel that and I'll kills ya.

The Hermann contest is a good contest. This will be it's third year. Last year 42 team competed. They could probably handle a few more teams. Check with the organizer but, you probably don't need to send in your entry until early September. Team Q has been there both years and we will be there again this year. Hope to see you there!

Does it cost anything to join? Are most people members? Do you have to have a team name to join?

We have no idea what to name ourselves. Based on my pension for wearing Hawaiin shirts and absolutely no native blood in my veins I suggested "Aloha Q: Get lei'd with our meat."

Any of you basturds steel that and I'll kills ya.

Annual membership is $35.00. Most competitive teams are members. You don't need a team name. Join as an individual.

Good name!

The Hermann contest has two events actually....KCBS with four meat and a backyard division with just ribs and chicken. So if you don't know if your ready for all 4 but still want to see what a competition is like, try the backyard contest, it's a one day cook instead of two. We also do the same thing at boone county fair in July here in Columbia.

Hope to see you out there someday soon! It's a blast!

Pacific is a great contest as well, we did it last year and plan to go this year. If you want to come hang with our team to see how things run you are more than welcome.

How early do you typically have to sign up for these things? How much do they usually cost. quote]

You should probably plan on signing up at least 3-4 weeks in advance. Admission fees are anywhere from 125-250 and you can plan on spending a $500.00 total for a comp.

How early do you typically have to sign up for these things? How much do they usually cost. quote]

You should probably plan on signing up at least 3-4 weeks in advance. Admission fees are anywhere from 125-250 and you can plan on spending a $500.00 total for a comp.

I'm assuming the admission fee is just that. They don't provide the meats you are supposed to cook or anything.

I'm going to contact the organizer this weekend. See if he has any details yet. It's a long way off, so that's probably a good thing. Plenty of time to brush up, and maybe pop by a brethren at a local comp or two and do some watching.

The Hermann contest is good did it last year planning to do it this year too. I'm planning on doing Pacific too. There is one in Cape Girardeau in late August which would be about two hours from you. I think it will be their 14th year, third doing KCBS. Just look on the KCBS website, www.kcbs.us. They have the contest broke down into months.

Back