Apple Butter Foiled Side Ribs Using The Smokenator

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wife made some Apple Butter that is sweet and juicy....this will be the second time I foil ribs with this stuff.

After 3 hours in the fridge rubbed with my mix of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, 5 different chili powders or flakes, roasted cumin powder, roasted ginger powder, ground up tubanado sugar and some ground allspice berries. I grind all the spices together using a large mortar and pestle:

1z2dq9u.jpg

Equipment used:

16kz8kk.jpg

I have the smokenator loaded with Blue Bag Royal Oak and a chunk of hickory and cherry on top under the side holes. In the Akorn I have lit lump and a partially burned hickory chunk to add. Placing a preburnt chunk gives me clean smoke quick. Some might say "why not just use the Akorn"....so far I have found the Kettle gives a better smoke flavour.

Some lump and a chunk added:

20jh15z.jpg

As soon as the thin smoke arrives I toss on the ribs:

by6md.jpg

And settle down to wait, watch and have a cold one:

30w5t13.jpg

The mix of hickory and cherry in my nose is intoxicating.....love it I do:

2jbjxc6.jpg

I will add shots and include my wife's Apple Butter in the foil stage.

Edit:

The sauce....left to right....Jack Daniel's, Tiger Sauce, Rufus Teague Sweet and Spicy, Stubb's Honey Pecan, my home made Sweet Habanero sauce and Cider Vinegar:

211jkgp.jpg

The wife's apple butter:

rk77di.jpg

I smoked the ribs at about 220f grate temp with the water pan loaded for about 2 hours then ramped up the temp to about 285f or so with the water pan empty and drabing with water/cider vinegar combo for about and hour to this result:

20sj061.jpg

To the foil....about 3 tbsp apple butter and 1 tbsp cider vinegar:

2vmcwic.jpg

Meat side down:

166cfvk.jpg

On the Kettle:

ao13ra.jpg

I'll add more shots when done.

Last edited:
I like the Smokenator for a small nightly meal. It holds temps well, and it uses very little charcoal.

Apple butter = good
Ribs = good
Apple butter + Ribs = Awesome I'd bet

Out of the foil after about and hour and a half at 280f or so:

2ut0uns.jpg

Sauced on both sides:

kbuys.jpg

After about 20 minutes:

3523kig.jpg

On the plate:

2rnzr6w.jpg

They were some mighty tasty ribs boys. I saved the juices from the tinfoil - those pork juices mixed with the apple butter taste divine. Not sure what I am gonna use it for.....maybe mixed in with smoked beans or chili.

Smoke taste was clean. I attribute this to preburning most of the wood used in the Akorn first. I also added additional charcoal from the Akorn as well so there was less smoke from igniting charcoal than normal. I would usually add 5 hanfulls before foiling with this setup. The taste of the apple butter was not as prominent as last time I did this - due to a hotter than normal sauce no doubt. Next time I will go with less habanero sauce. Took some over to a fella across the street and he was impressed.

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for pictures of the finished product......

WHERE ARE THEY ???????? (LOL)

I don't blame you, I'd eat them first before I posted the pictures too..

Great looking racks of ribs...

You can always use the meat juice you saved when you cook your next batch of BBQ Sauce..

Looks great. Might have to give the apple butter on ribs thing a try. Haven't done a whole lot of ribs this past year, when next I'm in the mood for them this will be on the list. Bookmarking this thread, thanks for sharing.

They turned out lookin real good! And you impressed the neighbor.
And thanks for the write up and the apple butter idea, I'll have to do some this week.

Back