Should I make the switch to a pellet smoker?

i have also conciderd one. But thy can't guarantee that there is 100% wood . So i didn't do it

Sure! Switch to a pellet grill, but do some research first about capacity/size that you might want and check out pellet cooking forums and reviews.

We use two pellet grills in comps, one for the first time a few weeks ago. We won backyard GC, cooking three meats on two pellet grills. All a pellet grill is to me is a different method of delivering heat & smoke to meat, which is the foundation of outdoor cooking. Nothing wrong with a little technology to help maintain even temps. I like the fact that pellet grills have very little ash waste to deal with and are a good means of recycling a byproduct that might otherwise not be used.

For the record, I have gotten calls cooking on a WSM, a Performer and now a pellet grill. Its the cook, not the cooker.

i have also conciderd one. But thy can't guarantee that there is 100% wood . So i didn't do it

Can you explain this? If you use pellets made for BBQ use, not heating pellets, they are 100% wood. BBQr's Delight, Bear Mountain, Cookin' pellets, and several others all make 100% wood pellets for BBQ use.

It depends on what your goal is.

I have a UDS and have a buddy that has a Traeger. Both of us love our smokers. Both of us can set it and forget it. Both of us have done long cooks (14+ hours).

He has a faster startup time than I do.

Mine costs 1/10th of what he paid for his.

I am partial to the smoke flavor I get from the UDS and have a little more control of that than he does (something he likes about the UDS).

I use a Weber ketttle to cook high heat. He can use his Traeger.

I have more cooking area with the 2nd grate.

His is prettier than mine.

it's up to you, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a Traeger once I got use to my UDS. I have seen a few great deals, but I am partial to the money in my pocket as I didn't see a big benefit to upgrading(?) to a Traeger. Since my buddy has a Traeger, he can't justify building a UDS. We both just cook for our families, and small get togethers, so we don't need anything larger.

There are a lot of pellet smokers being used every weekend by some of the top teams in the nation.

As long as the pellets are cooking/BBQ'ing pellets vs. home heating pellets, they are made of wood.

From BBQr's Delight webpage:

Pellets are a unique form of natural wood. When pellets are made, all of the air within the cellular structure of the wood is evacuated, thus concentrating the wood into a very dense form, much denser than the natural tree. As compared to other wood flavor enhancers, pellets will yield a more intense smoke more quickly which seals the food, locking in natural moisture and adding smoke flavor exactly when it’s needed.

Since pellets have been processed from sawdust by pressure which generates heat, any contaminants present in the wood are eliminated. This process produces a sterile smoking wood product of consistent quality. Pellets are easy to use since you do not soak in water prior to use. It’s easy to blend wood flavors with pellets and easily repeat successful cooking results.

http://bbqrsdelight.com/why-pellets/

not all pellets are 100% wood, some have fillers

also, some pellets are not 100% the wood they say they are. Some have other wood mixed in for filler. Some have ash in them, with the hickory etc

You have to read the bag

not all pellets are 100% wood, some have fillers

also, some pellets are not 100% the wood they say they are. Some have other wood mixed in for filler. Some have ash in them, with the hickory etc

You have to read the bag

True. But pellets that are made for BBQ use are 100% wood. heating pellets can have fillers, glues, machine oils, etc. in them and are not food safe.

Just like charcoal or logs/splits/chunks/chips there are different qualities available. Cheap charcoal may have filler, flooring boards, etc. and logs, etc. may have mold or fungus or pesticides. Buy a quality product from a reputable source and you won't have any problems.

For me the answer is no, you may have other considerations we don't know about.
I guess I'm a purest at heart, the simpler the better.

True. But pellets that are made for BBQ use are 100% wood. heating pellets can have fillers, glues, machine oils, etc. in them and are not food safe.

Just like charcoal or logs/splits/chunks/chips there are different qualities available. Cheap charcoal may have filler, flooring boards, etc. and logs, etc. may have mold or fungus or pesticides. Buy a quality product from a reputable source and you won't have any problems.

not true.

look at the pellets made by Little Chef for their smokers. Look on the bag next time you are in the store. they sell them in all the sprting goods stores, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabelas etc

sure a quality pellet is 100% wood, but not all of them are quality is all I am saying

not true.

look at the pellets made by Little Chef for their smokers. Look on the bag next time you are in the store. they sell them in all the sprting goods stores, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabelas etc

sure a quality pellet is 100% wood, but not all of them are quality is all I am saying

As I said. Buy a quality product. It's no different than charcoal, logs, chunks or chips. This is not a reason to not use a pellet cooker. You can get bad fuel for any cooker.

I'd like to point out I wasn't saying (in my earlier post) that I think pellet cookers are inferior. I've never cooked on one. But I'm a firm believer in the cook not the cooker. So when the guy told me the pellet cooker could bbq my stumps baby under the table it just showed his ignorance.

While quality pellets are 100% wood the question in my mind it "what wood?" Digging around the Traeger site does not reveal the actual composition only that;
100% hardwood, 1" long or less in length, 1/4" diameter, less than 2% ash content, less than 2% fines, 10% moisture content, 8500 BTU's per lb, and about 40 lbs per cubic ft. density
And that the Traeger pellets;
are made exclusively from natural food-grade hardwoods and are free of contaminants such as chemicals, petroleum, dirt or sand, or corrosion-causing salt from wood harvested from coastal areas
A bit more digging on the web indicates Traeger pellets composition is more like;
Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood
Maple 100% Maple wood
Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder
Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

Not making a judgment one way or another but something to consider.

Not making a judgment one way or another but something to consider.

Yeah... Good point. There are pellets available that are 100% flavor wood, like Hickory or cherry if you prefer that. Also, there are pellets that use a base of oak and then flavor wood. The oak gives off more heat so you burn fewer pellets and the flavor wood adds the accent smoke. It's a matter or preference.

This is getting better then the aluminum boat verses fiberglass boat discussion on the fishing boards. I need a bucket of popcorn and a few beers please.

Back