• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Double Drunken Chickens (Quick Pron)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Yes, I get cravings not only for pork but, chicken as well. Specifically, whole chickens. There has been a drought lately of affordable whole birds at the store and, none of the yard birds are up for slaughter. Fate was kind to me and finally put them on sale at the grocery store for $1/lb the other day. I picked up two and had to cook them that night. Why two? Well; I got a Double Beer Can Chicken Cooker for Christmas that I was itching to try out; the FIL had just done an oil change and some other work on my car so, I figured inviting them over for dinner was the least I could do; and, I wanted some chicken leftovers for at work.
One of the birds was set on a can of straight up Old Style and the other one was put on a can of Apple Juice w/ Cherry Doctors. I mixed up a spice blend to throw on them that my wife said reminded her of bloody marries. The tail flaps were cut off the birds. They were dried off with paper towel and then left to air dry for another 10 minutes. I then sprayed them down with some Pam, placed one of the tail flaps over the neck hole, and then dusted them down with the spice blend. From there they went onto the UDS cruising at around 300 with some cherry wood chips in it.
058.jpg

Each of these birds was around 4lbs so I let them cook for around 2 hours.
060.jpg

061.jpg

They were pulled when a probe red 185 in the legs and 170 in the breast. I then brought them in and set them in the oven to rest for about 20 minutes. We made up some Smashed Klondike Rose Potatoes and some homemade chicken, milk-style, gravy seasoned with the same spices as was on the birds.
062.jpg

I apologize for lack of pictures beyond this point but, these were some fantastic birds. Juicy and moist all the way around. The skin was just a hair off of bite through but still tasted fabulous. My FIL and MIL loved the meal and both had seconds of everything. I even got a "so good!" out of my wife! :becky:

Beautiful, and good idea using the tail to cover the neck.
You beat me to it. Never thought about cutting the tailflap off let alone covering the hole where the neck used to be. Learn something new everytime I browse the Brethern forum. :clap2:

They look awesome. I just did a pair up the other week as well. I like to use an onion or a lemon for the hole at the top, but I like your idea as well.

Not to hijack the good Brethren's thread but could I brine drunk chicken before I got it....well.... drunk? Would brining the chicken BEFORE putting it on the can make it turn out mushy?

Best way to give the FIL the bird and not get him mad. :p

Great looking birds. Have you tried putting veggies in the cavity? IE onions, garlic, celery?

which one did you prefer the old school or AJ? Been thinking about steering away from beer, I love beer can chicken but I love beer in my belly more...

Still ruling the North with Wicked BBQ huh? Nice work my friend! I'm going to try that "tail stuffed neck" trick.

Not to hijack the good Brethren's thread but could I brine drunk chicken before I got it....well.... drunk? Would brining the chicken BEFORE putting it on the can make it turn out mushy?

I usually do a 1.5-2 hr. dry brine every time I cook chicken and am really happy with the results, whether on a can or not, spatch-cocked or split. I haven't had a bird come out tasting dry yet with this quick and simple technique, so I see no reason to go back to a brine.

Use plenty of kosher, like a light dusting of snow, inside and out, before putting in the fridge for 1.5-2 hour. Rinse the birds off really well, especially the wings. Dry thoroughly, then oil or butter before seasoning for the grill or smoker. Just remember not to use a typical bbq rub since most of them have a substantial amount of salt. I got this technique from Jamie Purvience (Weber's grilling cookbooks) and like his simple seasoning of garlic, onion, chili powder, b. pepper. :thumb:

Great looking birds. Have you tried putting veggies in the cavity? IE onions, garlic, celery?

They look awesome. I just did a pair up the other week as well. I like to use an onion or a lemon for the hole at the top, but I like your idea as well.

You beat me to it. Never thought about cutting the tailflap off let alone covering the hole where the neck used to be. Learn something new everytime I browse the Brethern forum. :clap2:
I've used an onion, lemon, tinfoil, and bacon to cover the neck hole before. Usually I'll opt for the bacon but, this time, I didn't want to open up a pack of bacon just to use a couple of strips. The figuring was that there is quite a bit of fat in the tail flap sections so it would act very similar to bacon and just help to instill more chickeny goodness. I also figured that I wanted it to cover completely to begin with but allow some of the potential steam to escape towards the later end of the cook. That is why I didn't toothpick down the flap to keep it in place as well. When all was said and done I do say I was rather impressed with how little of an air leak it did allow.

Back