pizza

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

i used a new dough and fresh mozzarella tonight from an italian deli, mama disalvo's. there were about 10 old italian guys playing parcheesi in the deli! 8)

i made pizza sauce for the first time ever:
- 4 better boy tomatoes, fresh off the vine, still warm from the afternoon sun, seeds and juice squeezed outta them
- ev olive oil
- basil and oregano from the garden
- garlic
- black pepper and kosher salt
- one chipotle
- turbinado sugar
- cornstarch

low boil to reduce by half, then into the food processor and back to reduce a little more, then cool and light the egg and stretch the dough and shred the fresh mozzarella and a little more basil and parmigiano-reggiano.

here's how it went

mamadisalvopizza-034.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-035.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-037.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-039.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-041.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-043.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-050.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-055.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-059.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-047.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-060.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-062.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-065.jpg

mamadisalvopizza-066.jpg

i took the second pizza over to the neighbor's. she was making a pizza in the oven so here was the reaction...

don't be dissin my mom's pizza!

mamadisalvopizza-068.jpg

it didn't really turn out like i wanted, but it was ok, i reckon. the sauce was great! :biggrin:

I'd be happy if the doorbell rang and a big bearded guy was delivering one of those. Of course he'd not make it past the threashold.:biggrin: Great job Rick.

Wish I could get my crust that round. Nice looking pizza Rick.

it didn't really turn out like i wanted, but it was ok, i reckon. the sauce was great! :biggrin:

Rick - what were you hoping for ? Sauce does look very good !!

Is the dough the whole wheat version ? One thing I noticed is that the dough looked a bit dry.. especially around the edges.. might want to try a wetter dough/more hydration ? When was it made ?

Rick - what were you hoping for ? Sauce does look very good !!

Is the dough the whole wheat version ? One thing I noticed is that the dough looked a bit dry.. especially around the edges.. might want to try a wetter dough/more hydration ? When was it made ?

i was hoping the crust came out a little better. it was good, but not perfection. they said they had just made the dough and it had already risen. on the way home, the dough burst the plastic bag as it rose more in the truck. :shock: when i got home, i put the dough in the fridge for a bit.

i dusted the dough ball with whole wheat flour, so you see the larger whole wheat flour pieces on the outside of the dough. i split the dough ball in two and let it sit on the table to rest and rise a little. doing this caused a "skin" to form on the outside surface. not what i wanted. the dough still stretched ok and i actually tossed it a few times during the stretching; a dangerous feat over a sand and gravel driveway. :biggrin:

i reckon i'll just have to be making my own dough in the future....

here's the ingredients for the deli bought pizza dough:
flour
water
yeast
eggs
olive oil

the fresh mozzarella came in a plastic container submerged in brine. i dried it off with paper towels and shredded in the food processor, first time trying that.

Excellent pizzas!!

I've been experimenting making pizzas these past few weeks, and have gone from using the kettle to the gas grill to the kitchen oven. The kitchen oven has given me more consistent results so far.
I made some dough yesterday using Peter Reinhart's Napoletana dough recipe and will be using it tonight. I'm still deciding whether to use the kettle or the kitchen oven tonight...

everytime i light a fire in the oven the house gets too smokey.

I made up a simple sauce I like, but I used canned tomatoes. It turned out to be similar to the Jeff Varasano has on his site (http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm). Have you tried not cooking the sauce first?

What temp are you doing your pizzas at... I'm finding I like the 700+ range, but it only takes 2-3 minutes, or it burns.

I made up a simple sauce I like, but I used canned tomatoes. It turned out to be similar to the Jeff Varasano has on his site (http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm). Have you tried not cooking the sauce first?

What temp are you doing your pizzas at... I'm finding I like the 700+ range, but it only takes 2-3 minutes, or it burns.

that was the first for making sauce. just kinda made it up on the fly. 550 for these pizzas for about 9 minutes.

Back