Comp Rigs?

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
O.K. I gotta question for ya. I got me this 06 Duramax and love it and have been saving my shells for me a gooseneck comp / catering rig with a bath in it. Don't have to be nothing for sleepin but a mattress thrown up the gooseneck part and no furniture, just sinks and chit to cook with. Oh, and the porch on the back for the cooker so as to have not the load and unload chit going on. BUT my sources tells me by the end of summer motor homes will be at all time rock bottom prices. Soooooo seems to me that plan b might work just as well and offer up a few advantages. Plan b would be RV and have your cooker on an open trailer or maybe trailer with cover in case it rains, sinks and cooler space all of which should be rather inexpensive for that part. Now I know that fuel cost is key here but if I limit my round trip mileage from 200 to 400 miles (plenty of contest is the range for me this year) and figure my truck pulling a 30 ft gooseneck proly ain't gonna get more than 12 or 13 mi per gal and the RV not more than 7 or 8 the extra expense on that would not be bad. This way you'd have something nice to stay in and you could also use it on a strickly pleasure / vacation trip too. WHATCHA THINK?

Last year I got a 34ft Jayco motorhome. It gets 10-12 mpg about a 1/2 mpg less when I tow a car. It has a Ford Triton V10. It great for the wife and boys. Since you have the truck I would look at a toy hauler over a mh. You can get a nice new toy hauler for the price of a used MH. But to each his own on what they like.

Greendriver,
I have a 36' mh that I want to sell and get a simple 20' box trailer and turn into a comp rig. I want something that is more fuel efficient and will fit into the limited spaces available at a comp. Like you, all I want in it is a"private area" with a bath room and a single bunk. A ramp on the back to use as a "cooking platform" and a side door to the private area.

We caught some grief here in Barnesville because we could not accommodate all the teams that wanted in. Size does matter. The more rooms the teams take up the fewer teams can fit into an event like ours. An event like Coweta up in smoke size is irrelevant since they are on a fair ground.

Dang, I kinda got off track...You have the truck, find a toyhauler or small box that will do what you want. I think I gave you a nickel's worth of my opinion. Good luck what ever you decide.

There are lots' of used RV's for low cost listed on CL. The problem I see with an RV is that those engines and transmissions eventually need repairs and that can easily run into many thousands of dollars. I'd hate for the tranny to go out enroute to a comp and need to come up with $6-7K for repairs. Toy haulers don't have as many moving parts and require less maintenance.

Toy Haulers are nice.... that is what I am leaning toward..... Also could use for extra bedroom in an emergency for when I get into trouble... :eek:

Back