• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone Else Do This When Frying a Turkey?

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Thanksgiving has of course passed, but after frying my turkey on turkey day I still plan on frying about 3-4 more before the year is out since you can get turkey cheap.

Being safe when frying is very important and the videos online of fire department setting turkeys/oil ablaze are quite entertaining and enlightening/educational for those who haven't fried a turkey. Though those videos typically show doing every step 100% wrong to really emphasize what can happen when frying goes wrong.

We all well know of the typical safety recommendations when frying like........not overheating oil, not putting in too much oil, not putting in a frozen or even partially frozen turkey, etc.

What I haven't seen any site mention doing and is something I always have done simply because it made sense to me as a last point of fail safe......So does anyone else turn off the burner/fire before they drop the turkey in??

If a person does put too much oil in or the bird is a little frozen and it spills over and hits the flame (which is where all the fireballs come from) if the flame is off then it can't happen. For me when the drop happens the flame/gas goes off, drop the bird in slowly, wait till the lid is back on and no confirmed oil bubble over, then I start the fire back up.

Anyways just thought I would share. And here are some pics of my Thanksgiving turkey I did at my folks.

Drop with no flame
IMG2456.jpg

After turkey is safely in I relight
IMG2460.jpg

Peeking
IMG2463.jpg

Done
IMG2477.jpg

I don't, but only because I am real sure my turkey is thawed and dried out. Also, I make real sure I'm under my max weight and have an "X" etched into the pot as a fill line. As the old saying goes "this ain't my first rodeo!"
Turning off the flame for initial entry is not a bad idea at all.
Good job on that bird.

I'm not a big Turkey Fryer.. but i have never thought of that...great idea.. lessons the risk immensly.. but sense the burner where the flame comes from is still really hot.. its a small chance that it could catch on fire anyway though with spillover.. but the chance goes down dramatically when you turn it off... Definitely will do from this day on... :clap:

I use the Alton Brown method, works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20121121_144335.jpg
    IMG_20121121_144335.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 232
Yes, I and most people I know turn the burner off to lower the bird into the oil. After the bird is safely in the oil, we re-light the burner. It only takes a few seconds, so why would anyone NOT do it?

CD

I do that every time as well. The 30 seconds max you spend relighting the flame can save a major catastrophe.

That seems like a good tip. I plan to get a cheap one and try frying my first one here sometime

I am sorry to be the one who differs here but it is not necessary to turn the burner off.

If it's your first bird or so, Yes take every precaution. It looks like the bird in the pic above is being lowered in "Legs Up". Should be Breast up with cavity pointing away from the one dipping it and no one allowed to stand in front of it.

Just my .02.

Good tip. I've only done turkey breasts in my deep fryer cause the full birds we buy for big family dinners are always to large to fit in the deep fryer.

I am sorry to be the one who differs here but it is not necessary to turn the burner off.

If it's your first bird or so, Yes take every precaution. It looks like the bird in the pic above is being lowered in "Legs Up". Should be Breast up with cavity pointing away from the one dipping it and no one allowed to stand in front of it.

Just my .02.

I agree, it should be breast up. That way it would drain faster when you took the turkey out too. Also lower it in nice and slow too. That way you can control it when it starts bubbling up.

Good tip but I have to admit I've never done it and my pot is black as tar on the outside. I'm sure I've been close but no 911 call ever here!

Thats funny, I just fried my first turkey on Saturday and when it came time to lower the bird, I thought....why not turn off the burner. I had reveiwed all of the videos before I did it and I did not remember anyone saying to turn off the burner first. I did see a funny video that stressed safety to the max with welding gloves, long sleave shirts blah, blah, blah :blah:....then when the guy (with welding gloves) removed the bird, he placed it on the ground next to his bare feet. I will look for the vid and link to it...it made me laugh and relax a little.:loco:

all good points. just an observation though. it looks like you hace a nice place including a clean cement patio? suggest you use the burner somewhere else so as not to stain the cement.

Thats funny, I just fried my first turkey on Saturday and when it came time to lower the bird, I thought....why not turn off the burner. I had reveiwed all of the videos before I did it and I did not remember anyone saying to turn off the burner first. I did see a funny video that stressed safety to the max with welding gloves, long sleave shirts blah, blah, blah :blah:....then when the guy (with welding gloves) removed the bird, he placed it on the ground next to his bare feet. I will look for the vid and link to it...it made me laugh and relax a little.:loco:

I see what you are saying there Brother. I've done maybe over 500 of them over the years.

I say Yes to long sleeves and Yes to a glove. On the other side of the coin, NO to that happy ass ladder rig.

Now I am breaking every rule in the book (almost).

This is a pic back in 2007. Had just lowered bird in slowly. Notice there is always a glove on with long sleeves. Another law I broke was to cook in this garage. Hey, it was windy and cold. No problem frying undercover with a little caution.

2ez3bpi.jpg

Back