First contest results

bcis93

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Entered the Fiddlin’, Brewin’, Bar-B-Q’n Tennessee State BBQ Championship Cookoff this weekend. This was my first contest to compete in. My cooking buddy Jeff had only used his NB Black Diamond Smoker (my old one that I gave him) twice. I use a NB Bandera Smoker. The Backyard Division required you to cook Chicken & Ribs. We do Brisket & Ribs so we entered the Pro Division. Our plan was to just do ribs & brisket but once we got there the cookoff staff suggested we enter all four classes. I was hesitant cause I have only cooked 1 butt in my life and I have always done chicken on a grill. We decided to give it a shot anyway. There were 85 teams including some big names like “Blinddog’s Outlaw BBQ” & “Music City Pig Pals”. I expected to finish 85th. If we had a good time and learned from our experience it would be a success. That was our goal. Anything better, would exceed our expectations. Out of 85 teams we finished 54th! I am STOKED! We beat 31 teams! I can’t believe it! We finished 64th in chicken, 42nd in Ribs, 58th in Pork, & 45th in brisket. Several competitors that gave us advise with lots of experience finished below us! What a great experience! We are already thinking of ways to make our Q better. Cant wait till the next one! :p :cool:

Congrats Brother you are hooked for sure now.Go for it:wink:

Congratulations to you. You just set an example of what a first contest cook should be like. Your attitudes were perfect and I bet you had loads of fun. Great job!

Way to go!! Great job. Good luck with the next one, the one after that, the one after that......

"Cant wait till the next one!"

Way to go--sounds like a great time.
As my partner, Chad, would say--"Welcome to the Dark Side" :lol:

TIM

Congrats, Soon I will be a convert. Next season hopefully!

I Know That Feeling Just Keep It Going And Have Fun With It.
Congrats

Congrats!

Peer pressure is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

At the Racine (WI) competition there was a local team who was cooking their first competition and they were planning on cooking only chicken and ribs. By friday evening their neighbors had convinced them to cook all four meats, too. I don't remember where they placed, but I do know that they had a blast and will do it again!

Ron_L said:
Congrats!

At the Racine (WI) competition there was a local team who was cooking their first competition and they were planning on cooking only chicken and ribs. By friday evening their neighbors had convinced them to cook all four meats, too. I don't remember where they placed, but I do know that they had a blast and will do it again!
that was almost the highlite of the weekend!! there best finish was 14th in ribs--hopefully we will see them in Princeton

Outstanding! Congrats on a successful weekend! Good luck on the next one. There are plenty of us around here to help you with that when you have questions!

Great job, now get ready for the next one because they only get to be more fun. from here on out. let the blue smoke rise.

Great post, a fine story to tell and thanks for the update!
Good luck next time, keep us posted.
Wes

Back