• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Swine Spectator's guide to boudin (pR0n!)

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been making sausage for about 14 years. I make a dozen or so varieties. I have been trying to come up with a good boudin recipe for most of that time with limited success. The old timers are intentionally vague and omit details. I have scoured recipe books and the internet with wide ranging results. Meat to Liver ratios from 2:1 all the way to 20:1. How much rice? How much green onion?

The rice soaks up liquid and seasoning. It can make it too dry and flavorless.

After much trial and error, I think I am finally getting close to my favorite store bought boudins (Mowata and Jerry Lee's).

Since we are all friends here, I'll share my recipe so that others can enjoy.

The Swine Spectator's Boudin

6 lb Pork Butt, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
2 lb Pork Liver, cut into 1" cubes
2 Vidalia Onions, chopped
6 stalks Celery, chopped
15 Garlic Cloved, peeled and chopped
2 Jalapenos, seeded and diced
6 TBS Kosher Salt
3 TBS Black Pepper
3 TBS White Pepper
1 TBS Cayenne Pepper
1 TBS Chili Pepper

Also:
5 Cups Cooked Medium Grain Rice
1 1/2 Cup Italian Parsley, chopped
1 1/2 Cup Green Onions, chopped
Hog casings (32-36 mm)

Start with the veggies:
picture.php

Chopped:
picture.php

Now the meat, a 7 1/2 lb butt:
picture.php

Trim the fat and sinew, the cut it into 1" cubes and add it to the veggies:
picture.php

Next, add the salt and peppers:
picture.php

Real boudin has liver! Get some. You won't regret it. Here is 2 lb, cube it as well:
picture.php

Toss the veggies, meat, seasonings, and liver. Refrigerate and marinate for 2-24 hours.
picture.php

After marinating, place these ingredients in a non-reactive pot and just barely cover with water:
picture.php

Bring this all to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Strain the meat, being sure to reserve the liquid:
picture.php

Now chop the meat. Some people use a meat grinder with a course plate. I chop it all by hand though. Add the rice:
picture.php

Stir vigorously to make a paste:
picture.php

Add the parsley, green onion, and 5 cups of reserved liquid:
picture.php

Stir vigorously again:
picture.php

Stuff into sausage casings and make 12" links:
picture.php

Now, when you cook boudin, there are a few ways to do so. The most common way is to boil a large pot of water. When the pot is at a full boil, turn off the fire and then add the boudin. Allow it to poach for 12-15 minutes. Pull and serve.

Another great way to cook boudin is to smoke it. This drys and crisps the skin so you can eat it too.

DO NOT Boil boudin or direct grill it. the casing will explode and you will dump the contents. Trust me.

Great post! ... Made a lot of sausage, butt have yet to try this stuff.... Parents used to make liver & bacon/onions when I was a kid & have never liked it (or eaten it) since :mrgreen: ..... Gotta try this some time & looks great!

That looks like good boudin to me.

Once I tried cooking boudin indirect on my kettle, I never cooked it any other way again. Nice smoke flavor, and you can eat it whole, skin and all. If you boil or steam it, the skin is too tough. If you grill it hot, the skin will pop and all the moisture goes out -- and the skin is still tough.

If you are patient, you can grill it indirect, or smoke it a little bit on the fast side, and get a real treat. Crisp skin, moist inside.

Feel free to send me a pound or two of that homemade boudin, so I can tell the brethren that you done good. It's the least I can do for a brethren. :becky:

CD

CD

Great post! ... Made a lot of sausage, butt have yet to try this stuff.... Parents used to make liver & bacon/onions when I was a kid & have never liked it (or eaten it) since :mrgreen: ..... Gotta try this some time & looks great!

Like liver and onions, boudin has a dubious reputation. But, I don't like liver and onions, but I do love a good boudin.

You can eat it as a meal, but it also makes a great side. I love boudin as a side for a good grilled pork chop. It is also great with some grilled shrimps, or other grilled seafood.

CD

Great tutorial. Thanks!

I've heard of cooks using a cajun "rooster" and wondered what the hell they were talking about. :doh:

Back