Pork Parting 2014 / Pork the other HnF Meat

Meat Man

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
There's been a little bit of chatter about KCBS pork parting rule changes for 2014. The rule change would allow for separating of the pork shoulder in competition. Although the actual rule change is still in debate, it would most certainly make for some interesting turn ins.

Best of the Butt 2013
image-37_zps7a61f26a.jpg

Best of the Butt 2014
image-37_zpsb93b8a24.jpg

I think this could be cooked very easily in 2 to 3 hours. Not really sure I like this proposed change.

Part of this debate seems to assume the judges will just go gaga over being served grilled money muscle and loins. How do we know the judges won't be pizzed there isn't real pulled meat in the box as well as the money muscle sliced?

I for one hope the rule change does not pass. I feel part of the challenge is cooking the whole butt/shoulder all at once and still have the money muscle come out perfect and tender.

Part of this debate seems to assume the judges will just go gaga over being served grilled money muscle and loins. How do we know the judges won't be pizzed there isn't real pulled meat in the box as well as the money muscle sliced?

i turn in horn and tube chunks and sliced MM. no pulled. in 5 or so contests i've taken 5th, 6th, 2nd, and 4th.

i don't think the judges are looking for something specific, and if they are shame on them. that ain't how this thing is supposed to work.

with that siad, i'm not changing a thing in how i cook the butt. finishing the turn in might be a different story.

i don't care for the rule change either BTW. i think it could still be better.

We cook it HnF now. Buy an extra butt, cook the MM to temp and remove the butt. Take the leftovers home.

I just wonder how upset people were when they found of they could cut the shoulder off a whole hog and cook that separately? I also wonder, how upset people got when they then again, separated the shoulder into the Butt and Picnic?

Why are we changing this...why stop with making it a butt, why not just say any pork cut goes...loin ect...Hey why not changethe rule so I can season at home also...I do not agree with this rule change.. why did we need it...so we can get more sleep...soon KCBS will just be a grilling contest. My 2 cents

Podge, I thought that the new breeds of hogs just fell apart into 5 pound chunks once they were butchered. I always wondered where those MBN cooks got the old one piece hogs :wacko:

And for everyone saying it should not be a grilling contest, let's take it the opposite direction, the rules should really have been changed to read 'all briskets must be cooked whole, as packers, no separating and returning to pit. All chicken must be cooked whole and shall not be modified from the natural form of the chicken. All ribs must be cooked whole slab, with no modification to the cut, tips are to remain on.' I mean, let's really challenge the cooks, no more St. Louis cuts, no more burnt ends, cook each cut as it was meant to be cooked.

IBCA

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.
Recommended amounts are as follows:
Brisket: seven (7) full slices approximately 1/4” to 3/8” thick
Pork Spare Ribs: seven (7) individual cut ribs (bone-in)
Chicken: 1/2 fully jointed chicken (to include a breast, wing with tip, thigh,
and drumstick, with skin on. (NO Cornish Game Hens)
Pork: Pulled, sliced, or chopped ( All trays will be turned in the same,
either pulled, sliced, or chopped as directed by Promoter and/or Head Judge.

Back