Burnt ends question

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to smoke a packer this weekend and I've never tried making/cutting burnt end pieces. Now that I understand the correct way to cut the flat and point had a few questions:

Do or do not remove the point from the flat and let the whole brisket rest for at least 2 hours. If I rest the whole brisket that then my smoker is off unless I let it run with nothing in it.

Cut off the ends of the point against the grain only and slice into cubs. Do or do not cut the entire flat, slice the middle of the point like the flat.

Place the cubs in a pan and do or do not put with bbq sauce?

All is optional and can rest the whole brisket, rest it then slice the brisket, ends only of the point and serve without the burnt ends being cooked longer...not really "burnt" ends but burnt end pieces?

Other option - Can shut off the smoker and have an oven and just cook them in there?

I typically remove the whole brisket when the flat reaches the right temp/texture.

I then separate the point and flat. The flat rests in the cooler/cambro while the point is cut into burnt end chunks and put back on the smoker for a couple more hours.

Viola burnt ends.

We separate them about 1.5-1 hour before turn in (in comps). We slice the point and put it back on the smoker sauced in a foil pan for about 30 mins - 1 hour max. I find it overcooks pretty fast after cubed.

Sometimes we foil the pan when putting them back on the smoker, sometimes not. It kinda depends how they taste like, and how moist they feel before going back in...

I actually separated before cooking last weekend and both were done about the same time. Wrapped and rested the flat and cubed the point and back on cooker with light sauce for about 30 more minutes. Don't know if I got more smoke and bark on the burnt ends because it was getting the smoke from both sides(??) but they were my best burnt ends yet. When I have separated when flat was done, I tended to over cook my burnt ends. I'll separate prior to cooking again I think

c3ae48a6b9d5289cae02d537a73b7873.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back