Spent a day building some pits with my sons!

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For Christmas, I got each of my boys a Mini WSM kit. The kit included a Smokey Joe, 32 quart Vasconia tamale pot, Custom Marty Leach handles, a thermo, and the necessary hardware.

I was home today as the SoDT had to work and the boys had to register for school.

Once that was done, my twins (Andrew and Daniel) went outside and started working on their Mini WSMs. Sorry, didn't think I had the camera here so no "in progress" pics, but we do have finished pics.

miniwsms002.jpg

Here are the two of them together.

miniwsms003.jpg

This is Andrew's. His is built on an EE SJS platform.

miniwsms004.jpg

This is Daniel's. His is built on a DT/DU SJS platform (not sure how I let that happen!)

The top grate is 1" down from the bottom of the lip. The bottom grate is 4" below that, giving each grate 4" of clearance. The thermo is 1" below the bottom grate.

I drilled holes in a piece of scrap and the boys marked where the holes would be drilled, and then they drilled the holes for the grates and thermo. I ran inside to do a little work, and they put the grate bolts in and tightened 'em.

They put their own custom handles on.

I cut the bottom out of the pots with a jigsaw, and drilled the holes for the lower vent control assembly.

The knob is from the Vasconia lid. I bought short pieces of threaded rod, washers and nuts to hold it all together. I drilled a hole in one tab of the bottom vent and installed the control assembly.

Worst part of the build? Removing the dang Vasconia sticker form the pot!

We had a lot of fun, the boys are proud of their very own "pits", and we got to spend some quality time together.

A pretty darn good day.

I can't wait to cook on one!

That's a great idea, and they look good! Might have to steal this one:grin:

Nice job Dad!

thats an awesome Idea. I may have to steal it too. My 11 year old is getting very interested in helping Dad grill and Smoke.

That's a day well spent sir - and starting 'em with class, what with the Marty Leach handles and all! :thumb:

Looks like they did a great job!

No get them dirty.

Way to go Dad!!!!!
That's the way to spend your time!

Hope you dont mind if I steal the idea and maybe get my two boys their own hardware. Both are in scouting and a couple of mini's on an overnighter with some yardbird and a butt would surely be better than peanut butter on stale tortillas :^)

Clark,
Let Aubs and I know when you need judges for the WYC family cookoff.

Nice job.

ML

Now that's a day well spent and a fine example of fathermenship. Bravo!

Back