sams club state qualifierer

You'd need to ask the folks in Kansas City, and Lynchburg. KCBS does not officially track them as far as I know. Some states, where there are contests have blanket proclamations. The larger invitational organizations have the final say. So the answer is probably....maybe;)

What George said. Just my personal opinion though, I would not be at all surprised if Sam's Club/MMA purposely refuse to seek proclaimations. From what I can tell, all the proclaimations really do is help the competitions feed into invitationals, and these are part of a seperate invitational series. Why would they want to encourage their winners to attend the Royal or Jack instead of Bentonville since they are all within a few weeks of each other? It's the BBQ way to help your neighbors, but is it the WalMart way?

dmp

For what it's worth, the 2011 Sam's event in Gilbert, AZ was considered as a qualifier by Jack Daniel's as AZ has a blanket proclamation. They also considered all other contests in blanket proclamation states as well so if your state has a blanket proc it will likely be considered a qualifier by Jack again this year. That having been said, they may have a different opinion this year.

I don't know if The Royal took the same position as Jack Daniel's.

I also know that KCBS made no effort to secure proclamations for any of the Sam's contests in 2011. I would not be surprised to see them take the same stance in 2012.

It was my understanding that in order to be a Jack Qualifier the event has to be open to anyone and that requiring any type of membership to enter disqualifies those events.

I thought that I read somewhere that the local Sam's Club events are state qualifiers, but the regional events and the championship are not.

Local events you will get points tore are ToY but regional and national you will not they are invitation only contests

It was my understanding that in order to be a Jack Qualifier the event has to be open to anyone and that requiring any type of membership to enter disqualifies those events.

Regardless, they considered the locals that were held in states that had blanket proclamations as qualifiers. I got that information straight from the people at Jack Daniel's, not second hand.

The events were (are) open to anyone, it just cost $35 more for non- KCBS members

Regardless, they considered the locals that were held in states that had blanket proclamations as qualifiers. I got that information straight from the people at Jack Daniel's, not second hand.

Hi All,

To back up what Vince stated, Iowa Smokey D's was the GC at the local in Gilbert AZ last year. While visiting their restaurant this summer, Darren verified they received a JD draw for the Gilbert contest. Unless the JD folks change their minds this year, San Diego will join Tuscon as draws. Still plenty of room to join the fun in San Diego.

Benny

I have heard this said several times, but never read anything to confirm it asside from hearsay. If I look at Jack Daniel's website, they don't have their rules posted. The closest official thing I have ever found is this:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/happenings/current-happenings.aspx?id=106

Some one else has posted the 2010 rules here: http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2010-10-23-Jack-Daniels-Appl1.pdf

I have seen a similar list of 2011 rules, and saw no signifigant change. Nowhere is it said that an event must be open to the the general public. Even still, as has been pointed out, these events are open to the general public since KCBS membership is open to the general public. Of course, a literal reading of the rules doesn't prohibit invitationals, does it?

I know some people will find it heretical of me to say this, but I think it's really bad form for BF to not publish the bung and automatic qualification rules where all can see them. Worse yet, there have been other rules brought to the public which are not detailed in the referenced documents. Sure, B-F could claim that there is a rule that you state, and there may well be one, but it's not publically available. If you know of a documented rule, I'd love to see it.

For the record, the AR does make their qualification rules public, and they don't state that contests are required to be public either.

http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=236

Interestingly to me, the both sets of rules specifically require the govenor to sign a proclamation, though I have been told that some state legislatures issue proclamations. These would not qualify according to the strict letter....

dmp

It wasn't really meant to be a cheap shot. I apologize for how it came out. Not sure if I said it not, but I don't blame them one bit for not seeking the state championship designations.

dmp

According to my conversation with the girls at KCBS all Sams contest will not be qualifiers for the Jack. The reason is they truly are not open since you can't enter as many of them as you want.

Just my understanding.

BTW Wayne Lohman inadvertantly said that Sam's paid a million bucks the other day when addressing the judges at Lakeland. He then sort of corrected himself and said that $600k was for prize money.

Back