rotisserie in competition??

brog315

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My friend is about to start on a competition trailer build. He is planning on having an electric rotisserie running in the main smoke chamber, but is being told by some of his buddies that an electric powered rotisserie is not allowed in competition.

Is this true? Are there bbq competitions that would not allow this type of pit? Thank you for your help.

An electric rotisserie is most definitely allowed.

Think ABS cookers. They are designed around a rotisserie concept.

Left Hand Smoke used a rib-o-lator (electric gizmo) all of last season for chicken...no worries.

An electric rotisserie is most definitely allowed.

KCBS Rule # 6:
Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,

Yeah, I think your friend's buddies were confused thinking that the rule against electric heat sources for cooking purposes meant there could be no electric anything.

I compete with a Southern Yankee roto. There was talk of a comp in PA that was gonna be no electricity. Decided to bow out cause my wife would be totally exhausted after crankin that thing all night.:heh:

Just make sure that he is prepared to supply his own electricity in case he is at a competition that doesn't provide power or the power fails when provided (but that NEVER happens :rolleyes:)

Thank you all for your responses! I was pretty sure this was the case, but didn't want him to start building based on my word alone.

Back