Karubi Style Pork Ribs?

El Ropo

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just saw these in the grocery store, and they were a lot cheaper than a rack of spares per lb. They appear to be very meaty, with some very nice white fat, and are definitely bone-in.

Anyone know anything about these? Should I treat them like SLS spares cut in sections?

Pics:

KarubiRibs001.jpg

KarubiRibs002.jpg

KarubiRibs003.jpg

KarubiRibs004.jpg

So, karubi sounded vaguely familiar, a quick check showed why. Karubi is a Japanese language bastardization of the Korean Galbi. I grew up eating pork ribs marinated in a garlicky version of our family recipe for teriykai, often this was made with pork ribs instead of beef short ribs. Those would work great for this, we used single ribs, marinated in a garlicky teriyaki sauce, then slow cooked in oven. One could easily use a smoker for the same effect, or even better.

Teriyaki Pork Ribs Marinade:
3 cups shoyu
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup sake
1/8 cup mirin
8 large cloves garlic, grated
1" piece ginger, grated
hot peppers to taste

Use same ingredients except removing 1/2 of the sugar and add 1/2 cup honey, eliminate ginger

So, karubi sounded vaguely familiar, a quick check showed why. Karubi is a Japanese language bastardization of the Korean Galbi. I grew up eating pork ribs marinated in a garlicky version of our family recipe for teriykai, often this was made with pork ribs instead of beef short ribs. Those would work great for this, we used single ribs, marinated in a garlicky teriyaki sauce, then slow cooked in oven. One could easily use a smoker for the same effect, or even better.

Not to hijack....but I wish Landarc was neighbor, I think he could drop some serious knowledge on me. What your fam did to ribs sounds dayam tasty brother. Thanks for sharing.

After doing some more googling, I'm thinking these are pork short ribs.

I can't wait to find out how they taste :)

I'm thinkin' they're gona to taste as good as ya make 'em, and I'm thinkin' that's gona be pretty darn good. Cheers!!!

For the cost of a Big Mac, supersized fries and drink, I think it'll turn out OK.

Back