• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cost of a large bge

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have never seriously looked for a BGE. i have used them before but have been looking to buy one. I have priced them new but had no idea about what a good used price is. I found a large w/ wooden table for $450. I wouldn't have to drive but about 20 miles to pick it up. I know this is cheeper than a new one, but didn't know how often a good deal on them popped up on CL or such. Thanks for your help.

A new without nest or table is abotu $700. $450 is a very good deal. Make sure that it isn't cracked.

I not a BGE expert, but from what I recall seeing $450 is a pretty good price even w/o the table as long as it good condition.

Depends on how much you want a table. Is a large or compack table? I think that's close to the price of a demo egg from Eggfest. Remember, take in account that you can't get the lifetime warranty with a used one.

That being said, if all internals are there, no cracks,offer $375. Another thing to check, is is it an older model? Newer ones have spring assist bands, stainless intake and dual adjust daisy wheel. Also if a plate setter is included, which is about $50.

Have another question. How comparable are BGEs to WSMs? i figure i can get 2 WSM for the cost of the large BGE. I am sure people have there prefferences and any suggestions would be great.

Have another question. How comparable are BGEs to WSMs? i figure i can get 2 WSM for the cost of the large BGE. I am sure people have there prefferences and any suggestions would be great.

The grate on the BGE is 18.5 Inches. The BGE is heavily insulated, so it uses very little fuel.

buy it!
buy
buy
buy

i got a large egg with a compact table for $600 off craigslist, but i'm a collector :wink:

the big green egg headquarers is in tucker, ga... go over there and have a look

I would imagine you might see more BGE's in your location since the Mothership is in Tucker GA. But $450 is a pretty sweet deal with a table. Just know what your looking for, they all crack eventually, so take some work gloves with you and take it apart, remove the ring and firebowl and inspect them for damage, look the top and bottom over, the older ones had steel sliders and prone to rust, check condition of the gaskets. If it has accessories so much the better. It should have at the very least an ash tool, DFMT, Ceramic top, and a grid lifter.
As far as getting 2 WSM's for the same price-sure why not? They both perform well and have excellent support and rabid fan base. Six to one, half dozen to another! You will be happy with either. I'm partial to both, but if you can lowball consider the Egg.

Depends on how much you want a table. Is a large or compack table? I think that's close to the price of a demo egg from Eggfest. Remember, take in account that you can't get the lifetime warranty with a used one.

That being said, if all internals are there, no cracks,offer $375. Another thing to check, is is it an older model? Newer ones have spring assist bands, stainless intake and dual adjust daisy wheel. Also if a plate setter is included, which is about $50.

These are some great points. The tables are pretty pricey. If it is something you want then that is a good price. If you don't really want the table then it is just a decent price.

Like Thillin said... look at the condition, any accessories, etc. The parts for BGEs are not cheap.

All that being said... NEVER pay what someone is asking!!!

I have a large BGE and like it very much, but if I had it to do over, I'd probably go with a WSM.

I would imagine you might see more BGE's in your location since the Mothership is in Tucker GA. But $450 is a pretty sweet deal with a table. Just know what your looking for, they all crack eventually, so take some work gloves with you and take it apart, remove the ring and firebowl and inspect them for damage, look the top and bottom over, the older ones had steel sliders and prone to rust, check condition of the gaskets. If it has accessories so much the better. It should have at the very least an ash tool, DFMT, Ceramic top, and a grid lifter.
As far as getting 2 WSM's for the same price-sure why not? They both perform well and have excellent support and rabid fan base. Six to one, half dozen to another!

they do? do you mean the firebox and firering crack eventually, right? it's rare for the base or dome to crack from normal use, unless ya drop it. cracked fireboxes and firerings can still be used with no problems.

they do? do you mean the firebox and firering crack eventually, right? it's rare for the base or dome to crack from normal use, unless ya drop it. cracked fireboxes and firerings can still be used with no problems.

You have a point, I'm just speaking from experience, mine is an older BGE I got off CL, (FREE!) Old style hinge and top, rusted slider, ceramic grate with a cracked firebox. When I went to replace the spring assist hinge I noticed a crack from the bottom vent to the top of the bowl, you couldn't notice it with the band on. I don't know if it was heat related, or it tipped over? It has the old style low 4 wheel trolley and not very stable, the people were moving and didn't want to deal with it so it was my good fortune! SA Hinge $80, PS $75, CI grate, DFMT $35, Pizza Stone $25 and SS draft door all that adds up! They want@ $250 for a new bottom!! Getting a (almost) free Egg-Priceless!
If I were to do it over, though- Eggfest is the way to go!!

You have a point, I'm just speaking from experience, mine is an older BGE I got off CL, (FREE!) Old style hinge and top, rusted slider, ceramic grate with a cracked firebox. When I went to replace the spring assist hinge I noticed a crack from the bottom vent to the top of the bowl, you couldn't notice it with the band on. I don't know if it was heat related, or it tipped over? It has the old style low 4 wheel trolley and not very stable, the people were moving and didn't want to deal with it so it was my good fortune! SA Hinge $80, PS $75, CI grate, DFMT $35, Pizza Stone $25 and SS draft door all that adds up! They want@ $250 for a new bottom!! Getting a (almost) free Egg-Priceless!
If I were to do it over, though- Eggfest is the way to go!!

yes sir. eggfest!

there have been two eggs reported cracked recently on the big green egg forum, one xl and one large. the xl had the half cast iron grid placed on the firebox to get closer to the charcoal and the grid expanded so much it cracked the egg. the large reportedly cracked from the bottom of the base where it was supposedly placed in the nest too hard (?). the firebox and firering cracked right in line with the base (strange). the large was replaced on warranty (i think). not sure about the xl.

be careful out there kids. it is ceramic afterall

These are some great points. The tables are pretty pricey. If it is something you want then that is a good price. If you don't really want the table then it is just a decent price.

Like Thillin said... look at the condition, any accessories, etc. The parts for BGEs are not cheap.

All that being said... NEVER pay what someone is asking!!!
I did. :eek:

But then I only paid $150 for mine....:mrgreen:

I actually ended up getting another kamado style smoker. it has Asian markings what do you guys think about it? I think it's an imperial kamado. It seems a little thicker than a BGE but i may be wrong. it is the same size as a large BGE.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 59
Google it up - There's plenty of support for these cookers, and they are well made and good cookers.

I actually ended up getting another kamado style smoker. it has Asian markings what do you guys think about it? I think it's an imperial kamado. It seems a little thicker than a BGE but i may be wrong. it is the same size as a large BGE.

Looks like an Imperial Kamado! I was just giving my neighbor a ration of chit for not keeping his covered! Here is the link:

http://imperialkamado.com/i_japaneseKamadoHibachi.htm

There is a wealth of info on this site, click on any highlighted words and you get deeper into the maze.

Sadly not much in the way of cooking or firing instructions, no user forum or much in the way of support. You can order a cookbook from Kamado King and he also sells parts on Ebay.

You can also download a free Pachinko Palace/Kamado cookbook/instruction manual from the Naked Whiz, its billed as the Pre-1976 BGE Cookbook in pdf

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

You really should have the manual, these are clay and not ceramic and High heat are the downfall of them. You only use 20-30 briqs and add more as you cook. I have a Large Modern Style IK thats over 30 years old

Let me know if you need any more links or info.

Call the guy on the BGE and get both....

Not my money MOD!

Back