logo

Brisket turn in question?

bcis93

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I cooked 2 briskets as usual. #1 had good appearance & good taste, but was tough. #2 had ok taste, good tenderness, but bad appearance. It had a mushy bark. I turned in #2. My question is of the 3 catagories, appearance, taste, tenderness, how are the ranked or weighted? Maybe I should have turned in #1 and sliced it thin?

If it's KCBS rules, the weighting is as follows

Appearance - .5714 (14.3%)
Taste - 2.2858 (57.1%)
Tenderness/texture - 1.1428 (28.6%)

Take your best shot on this one!
In general, appearance is of the "least value" of the three considerations.
Also, any thoughts of "crisp" or "thick" bark are in the eye of the beholder.
It is a matter of what looks good at that point in time to that person,

For KCBS---Taste rules, followed by tenderness at 1/2 it's value, and trailed by appearance/presentation by 1/2 of tenderness weighting.
For specifics--see here:
http://new.cbbqa.com/judging/WeightingFactorMath.html

Other sanctioning bodies are different--kinda.
FBA values appearance at about 10% and the other two at about 45% each.
So, in FBA, ya need to hit on taste AND texture to score well.

Good luck.

TIM

I always cook 2 if not 3 briskets just for that same problem. So it is a crap shoot every time. you just got to be that good.

I cooked 2 briskets as usual. #1 had good appearance & good taste, but was tough. #2 had ok taste, good tenderness, but bad appearance. It had a mushy bark. I turned in #2. My question is of the 3 catagories, appearance, taste, tenderness, how are the ranked or weighted? Maybe I should have turned in #1 and sliced it thin?

Seems like mushy bark would get you a low score in taste as well as posible appearance. For some reason, once in a while I will have a pork putt that gets mushy. Mushy pork does not score well in a KCBS contest.

Everyone should be familiar with the rules of the contest they are cooking to know how each category is judged.

Why I stated that is at a recent KCBS event, there were 4 scores from the judges. Maybe one was cumulative? Just don't know.

There's 4 meat catergories but the judges only look at 3 areas which is taste tenderness and appearance. I have never seen 4 scores on a sheet :icon_shy but maybe you were at a contest where they did do cumulatives, never seen that though.

There's 4 meat catergories but the judges only look at 3 areas which is taste tenderness and appearance. I have never seen 4 scores on a sheet :icon_shy but maybe you were at a contest where they did do cumulatives, never seen that though.

My bad! I looked at the score sheets and 3 categories were scored. I must have made that whole deal up. Don't know what I saw and was told, but as usual, the brethren had everything right in the crosshairs. Thanks Bros.

My mushy bark comes from it steaming in the foil. The next "practice" one I do, I will eliminate the foil to correct this. As others have said, if the taste and tenderness is there, it's looks will be carried.

Back