• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butt pron. My first!!

Neonnblack

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wow, that title could be taken a few different ways. So could that first sentence. Anyways, as some know i just built my UDS and did a small 2 pound butt a few days ago, well i took it up a notch. 21 pounds of butt. Went waaaay faster than i thought it would, only took about 5 hours at around 300-320 (i know its ok at this temp but my barrel is quite the leaky one it seems i had all four vents "shut" the whole time). Ill be re fixing my fixing on that later. Anyways, on to the pron:
That raw butt
20130131_155210_zps4898ea0f.jpg

Left is a mixture of Hebrew National deli mustard (it is very very good mustard, if you can find it, try it out) and brown sugar slimed on it. Right is a naked butt, like nature intended.
20130131_161346_zps20eacb3c.jpg

The meat at 160 about to be wrapped smelled divine, and looked delicious.
20130131_211218_zps522441ba.jpg

I swear to god this piece fell off when i tin foiled the butts.
20130131_215107_zps75dbb313.jpg

Finished product of the mustard butt (i dont have one of the naked one for some reason)
20130131_222741_zps532bf005.jpg

I sampled each before wrapping them up in foil and towels and stuck them in the cooler for pulling in the morning.

I was very nervous about taking on this much meat(not again with these innuendos) but i think i did fine, i even cooked the naked one with no thermo and just did it by feel. came out tasty. thanks for holding my hand, gents.

Glad you had a successful cook. Were these boneless? Cooking at that temp is not a problem. As long as you got the smoke you were looking for.

Lookin' good, especially for a first-time. Cooking over the 300's isn't terrible, especially if that's the smoke you were looking for and if the fat was rendered as you desired. If not, next time, drop the temps down to the 275 range and see if you like that better. If still not right, try 250 the next time. You should find something you like in there somewhere.

Looks great from here. You're on your way! :cool:

Guessing you got those at Sam's, I hate that they take the bone out.

I also experienced a quicker cook on the boneless butt last time I got one at Sam's, turned out incredible.

BV

Boneless. I was going to go bone in but price won in the end, since this is for a pot luck at work. IT'S TASTY. i pulled it this morning and oh man it fell apart.

My dad works for a wholesale food company, they used to supply the ribs for the best in the west rib cook off, until the Nugget decided they were going to handle it. I got them from him, 24 bucks for 21 pounds or bonleess butts. Thanks for the compliments. I cant wait to do some ribs soon.

Congrats on your first butt!! :wink:
It looks great. Keep up the good work!

Boneless. I was going to go bone in but price won in the end, since this is for a pot luck at work. IT'S TASTY. i pulled it this morning and oh man it fell apart.

My dad works for a wholesale food company, they used to supply the ribs for the best in the west rib cook off, until the Nugget decided they were going to handle it. I got them from him, 24 bucks for 21 pounds or bonleess butts. Thanks for the compliments. I cant wait to do some ribs soon.

mmmmmmm Rib cook off :)

Your pork looks good :)

Thanks for the comps, guys.

And i cant wait either, scott! Wanna split a table, 500$ a person!!!

Back