Have some Elk Inner Loin. What to do with it?

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my buddy that hooked me up with the whole bison tenderloin, just gave me some elk inner loin. What should I do with it? Anyone got any recipes?

it is the best piece of meat you will ever eat. treat like you would filet mignon. keith

This is what I would do with it. When I lived in CO and hunted Elk, this was where the tenderloin went. Its a great recipe from Emeril for steak tartare
Ingredients

• <LI class=ingredient>2 anchovy fillets <LI class=ingredient>2 cloves of crushed garlic, peeled <LI class=ingredient>1 teaspoon capers <LI class=ingredient>1 egg <LI class=ingredient>2 tablespoons Dijon mustard <LI class=ingredient>Salt <LI class=ingredient>Freshly ground black pepper <LI class=ingredient>1/4 cup olive oil <LI class=ingredient>1 pound freshly ground beef tenderloin <LI class=ingredient>1/4 cup minced shallots <LI class=ingredient>4 tablespoons chopped egg whites <LI class=ingredient>4 tablespoons chopped egg yolks <LI class=ingredient>4 tablespoons brunoise red onions <LI class=ingredient>4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 8 slices of white bread, crust removed, tossed in olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and toasted
Directions

In a small wooden mixing bowl, combine the anchovy, capers and garlic. Using the back of a fork, crush the two and form a paste. Add the egg and mustard. Whisk well. Season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in the oil, to form an emulsion. In a cold mixing bowl, combine the tenderloin and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Add the emulsion and mix well. Form the tartare into 4 ounce rounds, about 1-inch thick. Place in the center of four cold plates. Garnish each with traditional garnishes. Serve with toast points.

I don't know much about elk, but I can tell you this, I had an amazing elk steak that was marinated and topped with blueberries. It was out of the world. Never looked for any recipes, but if you find one, trust me, blueberries pair very well.

I like how you think Ol Timer

Here's what I did. I got what he called an inner loin and then he said it was part of the NY Strip. I need to clarify what the cut is. It's the size of a standard flat iron or london broil.

It may be the reddest meat I've ever seen.

I cut off the last inch of it so I could put a little salt and pepper on it and grill that first to get a feel for what it tastes like without anything, as well as to get a feel for how long it will take to get it to the proper doneness.

I created a bourbon marinade for it:
3 ounces bourbon
1 tbsp worcestershire
1 tsp dijon mustartd
1 tsp soy
1 tsp honey
2 cloves garlic
black pepper

I'll be cooking it up at around 5 today.

And of course, I'm documenting the entire process.

Back