UDS Twins Seperated at Birth (Pron)

D

dgassaway

I've been working on a couple of drums for several weeks now and finally got them completed.

Started with 2 new drums, sandblasted and finished with hi-temp powder coating. Also had the wheels, thermometer and control backings powder coated in red and blue. The chrome parts were cut from a sheet of stainless steel left over from another project and polished. Stainless button head screws were used to hold everything together and RTV adhesive filled any possible air leaks.

The air intake is a similar design as on the last drum I built with air coming up from the bottom directly under the coals but I added a larger cake pan just below the intake control to catch any spark that may find it's way through and prevent wind from getting directly at the intake holes.

The fire basket was built with the expanded metal running an extra 3" down so it can be used like a giant charcoal chimney when starting my coals. It also sits nicely on top of the fish cooker to get it going quickly.

The ash pan is the best improvement on this build. It is held in place with return springs and hooks. This allows you to easily light the charcoal in the basket and also allows for easy dumping of the ash, just un-clip the hooks, dump the ash pan, shake out the coal basket and your ready for the next cook. Thanks to expatpig for the great idea.

After the birth these two where separated. The Red one went to a buddy's house to help cook 10 butts for a graduation party. The blue one traveled over 500 miles to a PNWBA cooking class in Bellingham, WA this past Saturday.

What I have learned: Shiny new UDSs do not stay that way for very long and they cook NO better than the original basic design. I want to build a 85 or 96 gallon drum next. Bet I go back to the original KISS style.

Attachments

• UDS1.jpg
    UDS1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 305
  • UDS2.jpg
    UDS2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 301
  • UDS3.jpg
    UDS3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 301
  • Thermo.jpg
    Thermo.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 300
  • Control.jpg
    Control.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 297
  • Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Intake1.jpg
    Intake1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Intake2.jpg
    Intake2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Intake3.jpg
    Intake3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Basket1.jpg
    Basket1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 351
  • Basket2.jpg
    Basket2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 299
  • AshPan.jpg
    AshPan.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion the coolest looking UDS I have seen so far AWESOME build. Where did you get the tires or did you make the rims. I would love a pair for my STUMPS. Later, Pat

DUDE, love the damper controls. That is a sick lookin group of cookers. Now im gonna go mod my drum

Those are very nice, love the weber look as well... I was thinking about a tire setup and couldn't decide what to go with for the 3rd leg. Now I know, thanks a million. Very nice work.

In my opinion the coolest looking UDS I have seen so far AWESOME build. Where did you get the tires or did you make the rims. I would love a pair for my STUMPS. Later, Pat

very cool! what is your source for the wheels?

Thanks for the complements guys.

The 10" tires/wheels are from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/pneumatic-tires/10-inch-knobby-tire-43612.html

They have a 2 piece rim so it is easy to get the tire on and off. I had them powder coated and then had the SS center pieces cut out and put in the middle before bolting them back together.

Hey, umm, is there some sort of trade up program available on drums...?

Mine doesn't look anything like those ones, I think it's defective.

Now I know why you told me I can keep the loaner! Those things are killer looking! I can't imagine how much time you put into them... and the kettle looks like I could tow it behind my Jeep!

Back