Skinless thighs

ipls3355

is one Smokin' Farker
I was gonna ask this in the trimming thighs thread, but it seemed to far off topic. Has anyone had any luck turning in skinless thighs, or is the skin a big appeal to the judges?

I got tired of trying to get the skin to come out bite through or crispy so I took the skin off at my last comp. Got 8th in Chicken.:eek::mrgreen:

Skin packs a ton of flavor. Crispy is not an easy option. But there are ways to get it bite through.

I would not try a no skin turn in. I would how ever like to see pictures of that turn in if you have it.

I have never heard of no skin turn in but I to would like to see any pics

It's not common around here, but I've seen it. Some folks have taken to building boxes with both skin on and skinless lately though.

The challenge is you have to take extra steps to keep skinless thighs moist and flavorful. A good judge shouldn't rate you down simply because the skin is omitted, as you're only supposed to judge what is in the box, not what isn't, whether you wish it was there or not.

I did up some skinless boneless thighs the other day and thought they were fantastic so that means they would probably get judged low :)
also the conspiracy mindset of a lot of judges would score low because you were probably trying to "hide" something

Skin packs a ton of flavor. Crispy is not an easy option. But there are ways to get it bite through.

I would not try a no skin turn in. I would how ever like to see pictures of that turn in if you have it.

Sorry, didn't get any pics of this entry.

The challenge is you have to take extra steps to keep skinless thighs moist and flavorful. A good judge shouldn't rate you down simply because the skin is omitted, as you're only supposed to judge what is in the box, not what isn't, whether you wish it was there or not.

I have talked to a lot judges that will score down for skin they can't bite through. They went as far as saying the chicken would have scored better if the skin wasn't on. That's why I gave it a shot. It worked this one time, but it may bomb next time. :-?

I cook the chicken with the skin on to keep it moist. When it's done, take the skin off and baste with bbq sauce of choice to firm up.

Sorry, didn't get any pics of this entry.

I have talked to a lot judges that will score down for skin they can't bite through. They went as far as saying the chicken would have scored better if the skin wasn't on. That's why I gave it a shot. It worked this one time, but it may bomb next time. :-?

I cook the chicken with the skin on to keep it moist. When it's done, take the skin off and baste with bbq sauce of choice to firm up.

After taking the skin off and before re saucing, do you re season it?
Dave

Here are pics of our skinless chicked turn in at Conowingo in May. 13th place. Sorry, didn't see that Sledneck already posted link.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 119
Wow, that actually looks a lot better than I expected it to look. Not anything of your doing, just I always thought skinless chicken would look a little anemic.

I've been taking an informal survey of some judges this year about this very thing. Most of the CBJs that I have talked to (myself included) feel that an entry with tough, rubbery skin is going to loose a point on tenderness. On the appearance issue the opinion seems to be about equal as to pro/con.

We were doing the skinless thing for about a year, we hit some but bombed more than we did well. It tasted great.....but who knows.....

You would be so surprised what some people are actually turning in and how rubbery and tough some skin is. I understand sitting in a box for awhile will toughen the chicken up a little, but there is no way some of the chicken I have seen went into a box with anywhere near good skin. I would love to see some skinless chicken as a judge. It shows me that a cook is really thinking about the flavor of the meat and not all about the skin. That being said, I would score it just like anything else. But that may be just me.

I admit that we have turned in some awful skin a few times. Sometimes the Friday night fun time can make us do some stupid things. That aint happening next time.

Back