Butts are taking forever!!!

Smokin Gator

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am going to my inlaws in NC this afternoon so I thought I would do a couple of butts to take along. I put them on the large BGE last night about 7:00 and figured they would be off by 10:00 or so. It is now been almost 18 hours and the farkers are at 182 and 175!!!

I did run the cooker pretty low overnight... 220 I think... but this morning I cranked it up to 250.

My wife is not going to be happy if we are late leaving... oh well!!!

I am going to my inlaws in NC this afternoon so I thought I would do a couple of butts to take along. I put them on the large BGE last night about 7:00 and figured they would be off by 10:00 or so. It is now been almost 18 hours and the farkers are at 182 and 175!!!

I did run the cooker pretty low overnight... 220 I think... but this morning I cranked it up to 250.

My wife is not going to be happy if we are late leaving... oh well!!!

That's the problem.....in an Egg, the dome thermometer reads higher than the actual cooking temperature at the grate. 220* dome is about 185* or 190* grate. Since the ratio between the cook temp and target temp of your butts is so close to 1:1, it will take forever to get there.

I'd foil them and put them into a 300* oven, you already have enough flavor and color on them.

That's the problem.....in an Egg, the dome thermometer reads higher than the actual cooking temperature at the grate. 220* dome is about 185* or 190* grate. Since the ratio between the cook temp and target temp of your butts is so close to 1:1, it will take forever to get there.

I'd foil them and put them into a 300* oven, you already have enough flavor and color on them.

The dome temp was about 250 last night... I ran the Stoker set at 220. I did foil a little while ago and ran the temp up to 300 just like you suggested. They are starting to move a little faster so I should be OK.

I did the potato trick to see the grate temp on my lbge when I did a brisket last weekend. For the first several hours, the grate temp and the dome temp were 20-25 degrees apart, but after about 8 hours, they were the same. Is this normal?

I did the potato trick to see the grate temp on my lbge when I did a brisket last weekend. For the first several hours, the grate temp and the dome temp were 20-25 degrees apart, but after about 8 hours, they were the same. Is this normal?

Yep... I have noticed that on the BGE especially.

That's interesting. So new procedure now. Get the charcoal ready for 8 hours, then put the meat on. It'll save having to use two thermometers for the beginning of the cook.

Back