fec100/120 vs ole hickory cto

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thinking about getting either fec 100/120 or a ole hickory cto. Just looking for opinion's from people that have or have had these cookers. I know they are different fuel sources just looking for which one you prefer and why. Thinking about one for the 2018 season.

Thinking about getting either fec 100/120 or a ole hickory cto. Just looking for opinion's from people that have or have had these cookers. I know they are different fuel sources just looking for which one you prefer and why. Thinking about one for the 2018 season.

The FE will do fine, if the recipe is right and the cook can turn in a quality product. It's like any other cooker. The product is pretty similar to what a Jambo turns out.

You can cook hot and fast as well, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a pellet cooker in my opinion.

Don't you do this every year?

The FE will do fine, if the recipe is right and the cook can turn in a quality product. It's like any other cooker. The product is pretty similar to what a Jambo turns out.

You can cook hot and fast as well, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a pellet cooker in my opinion.

Don't you do this every year?
thank you for info. Yes I buy a new cooker every year it is part of the fun for me I love trying and experimenting with new cookers. Until I find the one I get along the best with I will continue to try new ones.

If you go the FEC route, get the 100. The 120 is great for a commercial setting. It has a convection fan that gives you fairly even top to bottom temps.

The 100 uses natural convection, so you need to think about the hot and cool spots in the cooker and which way the air is flowing when you place the meat - but having hotter and cooler areas gives you more flexibility for comp cooking. (chicken cooking, sauce setting, etc.)

So if you said you were opening a bbq restaurant, get the 120 or 240. For comp cooking, the 100.

Turns out a nice product, good smoke ring without resorting to Tender Quick. Does hot and fast just fine, but since the fire is so clean regardless of your cook temp, run it at a really low temp first (like 180 degrees for 90 minutes) to get more smoke on the meat.

Back