• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

**Inaugural western smoker bonanza** w/pron

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well not quit a bonanza but it sounded good...LMAO
Here are some pics from todays first smoke. I seasoned it last night and it was killing me to use it...temps from top to bttm are with in 5 degrees once the temps stabilize...Because of it being insulated I have to learn some of the tricks for controlling these babies. I did the regular minion method yesterday and let the temps get to high before closing it down probably around 250 or so. Well with these types of smokers that is to high I have been told to control it on the way up which I was kicking my self in the butt last night for not doing. Any ways I also am trying a different or tweak on the minion which is lining the coals and wood up in a narrow row and letting it go from the end..It has worked great so far along with chocking it earlier in the temps around 150 or so.
Now to the meat of things........this was a sorry excuse for spare ribs but beggars can't be choosy. Sprinkled with some MAD HUNKY and set aside...You will also see some dino bones which are sprinkled with Lantana of Texas all purpose and a loin almost split down the middle, also rubbed with lantana. thanks for lookin
charcoal in the basket
DSC_00190002.jpg

spare rib
DSC_00200003.jpg

all on one rack with a lot of elbow room
DSC_00270010.jpg

into the smoker
DSC_00280011.jpg

about a hour in
DSC_00310014.jpg

getting wrapped up with butter, brown sugar, green chiles, jalapeno jelly, chipotle powder
DSC_00330016.jpg

and the dinos
DSC_00350018.jpg

this smoker is at over four hours of running right now with about 2.5lbs of royal oak and 4 chunks of apple...I would say it is very efficient indeed...

Last edited:
Ok here are the final pics....it is still going on 2.5lbs of charcoal, I actually ran it a little hot do to a learning curve..I was figuring 10lbs for 8 hours. It is still going at 230 degrees and has been smoking for 8 hours...Ribs came out great the sirloin is still in. thanks for lookin
back into the smoker after removing from foil
DSC_00360001.jpg

DSC_00370002.jpg

all done
DSC_00440003.jpg

DSC_00450004.jpg

DSC_00480005.jpg

Wow, looks good and seems like doing that on 2.5lbs of charcoal, you achieved your goal.

I envy you guys who do all this wonderful smoking with natural wood and charcoal! im just getting started with this smoking thing and im using a pellet smoker until i think i can handle a bigger challenge

thats a nice cooker you made. Im surprised that the amount of lump you used lasted as long as it did.

Wow, You've made me hungry "again tonight"

I gotta stop looking at these threads of sexy foods.

Thanks everyone.. I am also surprised at the amount of charcoal used..It could actually be a little closer to 3 lbs but it is still pretty good. I'm working on a contraption to even give more control to the temps and time of the smokes....

Back