Chicken thigh advice

Rib bonez

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Been practicing on chix thighs recently for an upcoming comp but not extremely happy on the taste of the actual meat. Method of cook has been to remove and defat the skin. Rub on bottom, between skin and meat, then again on top of the skin. Last night I injected the thigh and was somewhat happy. What’s everyone’s thought on brining them for a couple of hours? Any other suggestions to improve “the meat” flavor?

Last edited:
Personally I find that thighs don't need a brine or injection. I do not remove any fat or skin. Rub under and over the skin. As long as you use salt in your rub you'll basically be dry-brining them. I like them seasoned like a buffalo wing / similar flavor.

I inject the thighs and then put them in a ziplock with the remaining liquid dumped over them at 6-8pm the night before. Then into the cooler in a 1/2 size foil pan laid flat. Then rub them between 7-9am.

We brine in a simple honey/salt solution. No injection. No scraping skins.

Season top and bottom of thigh. Cook in half pan. Sauce and serve. We haven't blown it out of the water with chicken but it's certainly not the entry that holds us back

So you take the skin off, defat it then put it back on? I've always heard that bones and fat are what gives the meat flavor. Other than whatever you might inject or rub it with of course.

The best way to defat chicken is to soak overnight in a blend of 4 parts water to 1 part Dawn.

Everybody knows Dawn is a great grease cutter.

Sorry about that. I was hit on the head by a tree limb yesterday, and I think it scrambled my satirical lobe.

Please don't put soap on your chicken. That's a really bad idea.

I think brining and injecting is an unnecessary step. My scores improved after I gave up the needle.

The best way to defat chicken is to soak overnight in a blend of 4 parts water to 1 part Dawn.

I thought the new secret was a vinegar soak?

(Sorry OP a joke from another thread)

I thought the new secret was a vinegar soak?

(Sorry OP a joke from another thread)

Has the Listerine fad faded away?

:becky: :-D :tongue: :rolleyes:

I season with Ajax.. It cuts grease and ads a little tooth

Mayonnaise...

But really I just injected with butchers honey flavor last contest and had good results(174). I was dry brining before that with decent results. I didn't scrape the skins, just squared them up to size and removed the large chucks of fat.

Greatly appreciate SOME of the feedback. Will report back once the come is over.

Been practicing on chix thighs recently for an upcoming comp but not extremely happy on the taste of the actual meat. Method of cook has been to remove and defat the skin. Rub on bottom, between skin and meat, then again on top of the skin. Last night I injected the thigh and was somewhat happy. What’s everyone’s thought on brining them for a couple of hours? Any other suggestions to improve “the meat” flavor?

I've brined, I've injected, I've cooked plain and won on all three ways. My suggestion would be worry more about the sauce you are putting on them and as old Sawbones would say, "don't let it over ride the chicken taste".

Switch to legs! I inject with Kosmo's chicken injection. No prep. I take them out of the package on saturday, stretch the skins, inject, season, and cook. Walla!

Butcher's Original injection has been a great addition to my thighs over the years.

Back