• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Judge My Box Brethern

OEF5

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at building, presenting, cooking anything to go into a box like this. So this is all practice and you opinions will greatly help us get better!
Some quick facts;

Lolipop chicken test, two cook methods, one rub, two sauces. So in the box the bottom two legs are dry for the rub test. We used Kale and the wife isn't sure about the color of it, I think it looks fine, but this is where we need you. Now for the pics! I also see in the pic that there is some sauce on the lid, it's because I didn't like how it looked and put a bit more glaze on it and the leg wasn't in the same place. Second pic is before the extra sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 300
Not going to give you a score because I lack experience in that. The skin has rolled back. Sauce looks good in the first pic except the bottom two look like they got missed. The bones look blackened a bit. Foil the bones during cooking. Check out DivaQ's chicken lollipop video on YouTube. It is missing some things in her process but will give you a good idea of how to do it.

Make all six look like the one in the back left and your golden.
Quit worrying about garnish, if it's legal it no longer plays any role in appearance scoring.
Ed

The left box, 8 on appearance, due to uneven glaze. It looks like you missed the front two. Bones are fine.

The right box, 8 or 9, since sauce is NOT required. I'd need to see this in person, because the middle one on the right looks splotchy from the picture.

Despite what I've read from some forums, I still see lollipop chicken and cupcake chicken, more so the former.

I just gave a 9-9-8 to a lollipop chicken last Saturday -- excellent flavor but a tad overcooked.

I agree that the ones on the bottom could use a little more sauce. When I judge, I pretty much give 8s and 9s on appearance as any experienced BBQ team should be able to produce good looking BBQ. Occasional mark down for sloppy sauce or something else. Judges are instructed not to mark down for sauce on the lid or judge garnish.

You might be taking a chance by turning in something out of the ordinary. I turned in the chicken below last week and received 9, 7, 9, 6, 9, 9 for appearance. I have to think the inconsistencies may be because they are drumsticks and not thighs. I'm not saying they deserved 9s either, maybe some judges marked me up because they like drumsticks. I just find it hard to believe two people could have such a different opinion on something as simple as appearance. Missed walking by 0.04 on this entry.

Edit: Maybe I would have scored better if I hadn't turned them in sideways.

Attachments

• 20170930_115517.jpg
    20170930_115517.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 242
I agree that the ones on the bottom could use a little more sauce. When I judge, I pretty much give 8s and 9s on appearance as any experienced BBQ team should be able to produce good looking BBQ. Occasional mark down for sloppy sauce or something else. Judges are instructed not to mark down for sauce on the lid or judge garnish.

You might be taking a chance by turning in something out of the ordinary. I turned in the chicken below last week and received 9, 7, 9, 6, 9, 9 for appearance. I have to think the inconsistencies may be because they are drumsticks and not thighs. I'm not saying they deserved 9s either, maybe some judges marked me up because they like drumsticks. I just find it hard to believe two people could have such a different opinion on something as simple as appearance. Missed walking by 0.04 on this entry.

Edit: Maybe I would have scored better if I hadn't turned them in sideways.

No way those deserved a 6 or 7, for crying out loud.

As already stated, wrap the bone in foil. I dunk the lollipop bone and all in a thinned warmed sauce for presentation. This makes the bone more shiny instead of dull. Malcom Reed (Howtobbqright has a great video on the process)

The boxes are the exact same chicken, the left was with a slight glaze to shine them up after coming off the smoker, the right box is right out of the smoker after setting the glaze.

I know the bottom two legs don't have glaze, as I mentioned in the notes we were also testing our rub for just taste without any sauce. As this was a practice we didn't do every leg the exact same way.

The left box, 8 on appearance, due to uneven glaze. It looks like you missed the front two. Bones are fine.

The right box, 8 or 9, since sauce is NOT required. I'd need to see this in person, because the middle one on the right looks splotchy from the picture.

Despite what I've read from some forums, I still see lollipop chicken and cupcake chicken, more so the former.

I just gave a 9-9-8 to a lollipop chicken last Saturday -- excellent flavor but a tad overcooked.

As for doing the wrap and watching Diva Q, did that..here is why I think they don't look as appealing:

We don't yet have the proper tools to get the bone completely clean as you can see in the prep photo. The wife spent an hour doing 12 legs to get them to this stage, and since it was the first go at doing a box we were happy, and all of your alls comments will be used to adjust and make it even better, so thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 194
I guess I was the only one to actually read everything OEF5 wrote.:becky:

I wouldn't run them dry. They don't look as appealing. Make them all look like your sauced ones and you'd get a 9 from me.

I guess I was the only one to actually read everything OEF5 wrote.:becky:

And you get a gold star for being such a good boy.

ehS3SC6.jpg

The boxes are the exact same chicken, the left was with a slight glaze to shine them up after coming off the smoker, the right box is right out of the smoker after setting the glaze.

I know the bottom two legs don't have glaze, as I mentioned in the notes we were also testing our rub for just taste without any sauce. As this was a practice we didn't do every leg the exact same way.

Yep. I was just trying to make the point that entries with no sauce should not be marked down, but I have heard it before.

Looks like the middle right piece got smudged with your fingers before you sauced it. I would still give it a 8-9. I would thin out the sauce just a tad and sauce the bones. It looks better. Taking pics is the best way to find your mistakes and improve your appearance.

Looks like the middle right piece got smudged with your fingers before you sauced it. I would still give it a 8-9. I would thin out the sauce just a tad and sauce the bones. It looks better. Taking pics is the best way to find your mistakes and improve your appearance.

Thanks for your service leatherneck!

Also thank you all for comments. Detail is usually something I'm good at you all are right on the right middle leg, it fell over in the smoke and the bark came off.

This is all a learning thing and it makes me feel we are on the right track with scores you all are giving and this will make us better when it's for real

ClaytonSmoke - I agree that I would have given those an 8 or 9 for appearance. They look appetizing. Thats the main thing I look for and was taught. Do I want to eat them. And it shouldn't matter if it is legs, thighs, wings, etc. Does it look good. I think it does. One item that may mark it down a little for me, is that the sauce (could be from the pic) looks a little heavy handed. Seeing the meat is a better gauge for me than a lot of sauce.

OEF5 - Looking at your box and the replies above, I agree with most of them. Just don't use an illegal garnish and I don't care what it is when I judge. What I do notice that isn't as appetizing to me for appearance is the bone colors. They are vastly different and seeing them aren't appetizing to me. Some are dark, some are light. What about trying to put a little sauce or something on the bone also just to keep a nice consistent sheen and color? I admit I have not judged lollypop ones in a contest yet, so this is just a guess and my opinion.

Back