• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Original Paint

U

UDS808

www.photobucket.com/UDSbyScott
If this link is available, can anyone tell me if the green drum has to be stripped inside and out and repainted or can I keep the green ext paint intact? No problem removing all the paint, but thought I'd ask first.
Thanks & Aloha!
Scott

The exterior doesn't matter, you do need to get rid of the red liner, and do a proper burnout...which will eliminate the exterior paint. A lot of elbow grease is needed or find an unlined drum.

Once you do a burn to get rid of the liner, the paint on the outside will probably be gone.Good luck with the red liner.

Anyone know if sand or media blasting is an option to remove all this unwanted paint?

What's the best method most effective to burn out those liners? The liner in the green drum is cream colored. I've got two drums n they are both food grade.

drill your bottom intake holes and build as big of a fire in the drum with any scrap wood as you can and let it burn until the outside is black and all of the paint has peeled off, or if you have a weed burner that hooks up to a propane tank, lots of people use them to burn off the paint and liners.

Howzit Scott,

We bought a pair of food grade drums from a guy in Kaneohe last year. All we did was drill our intake/outake holes, Pam'd the inside heavily and did a high heat burn with a 20 lb bag of Kingsford. Worked perfectly for burning of the interior.

A few days later we hit it with high temp green and black paint from City Mill.

No complaints yet and the UDS is my wife's favorite smoker.....hands down over the Pro Qs, WSMs and offsets.

Hope that helps.

Back