• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tru-Value has Cowboy Sale all of May

I stopped at Lowes also. They matched the price and took off an additional 10% which came out to $8.09 a bag..........

Nice! I thought about asking for that, but didn't want to sound greedy. Lol

I stopped at Lowes also. They matched the price and took off an additional 10% which came out to $8.09 a bag..........

Did you bring a print out of the web price or a Tru Value flyer? I hadn't thought of price matching it at Lowes.

So many lump deals and so little time to cook!! I wish the price of beef would drop like the price of lump these days.

Just bought 3 20lb bags from Lowes. The HD near me only had 8.8lb bags at $7.99... 20lbs for 8.99, can't beat that. I've had good luck with CowBoy so far. Thanks for the find!!!

Bump to top, this sale is on but ONLY RUNS THRU 5/12 or until they run out, no rainchecks. If you haven't tried the new and improved cowboy, you're missing out. This stuff ain't bad even at regular price and this is ahelluva deal. It's time for you cheapskate Kingsford Bluebaggers to make the leap to lump. Stock up farkers! I bought a half skid yesterday and am going back tomorrow!

Lol.

I stated a month ago that I was transitioning from KBB to lump, and man, this is a GREAT time to do it w/ the price of lump dropping all around me.

There's Mali's (from near Buffalo) for $10.99/20#, but only 1 pallet at 1 nearby store; there's that older, semi-beat Wicked Good for $10/22# at the Ocean State Job Lot chain, and now this Cowboy, which is listed on all the stores' websites around me but I can't confirm if it's in stock until tomorrow.

I've never bought Cowboy, but have used two bags of it that came w/ used grills I bought, and both bags seemed okay to me.

Good lump for <$.50/#....bye bye KBB.

Btw, I'm LOVING the reduction of ash by using lump. That alone is worth the higher price to me.

I went to my nearest Lowe's with a copy of the True Value ad in hand. And they had no 20lb bags of Cowboy, just the smaller ones!! So far I have made two trips, one to True Value and one to Lowe's and I have come home empty handed both times! That's about 50 miles of driving total for zilch. I would have been better off going to Ace down the street and paying full price. :mrgreen:

I have always hated cowboy lump because of all of the wood scraps which looked like large pieces of plywood.

I bought 2 bags to investigate after reading how the contents of the bag has changed. I loaded the smoker and found that I had all very large pieces of true lump charcoal. No signs of scrap wood of any type.

I also measured the small particles of charcoal and found a had about a cup.

Wow what a comeback for cowboy....

I'm going to buy more today..

Knowing this sale was coming up i bought two small bags at home depot in Madison Wisconsin to try out. I loaded up the uds and did an overnight pork butt cook. I noticed a huge variation in sizes which made it difficult to get a good packed basket. Towards the end of the cook i was having trouble maintaining temps and found that it had burned very unevenly. I also discovered two rocks in the basket. At this price i will still get some for the kettle and short cooks but i will not buy it at the regular price again. The possibility does exist that i will get some and it will be better than my trial of it but my initial impression was not good.

well after the comments I had to go get some

the guy at my one Tru Value tried charging me regular price, I told him about the sale flyer, he said his store doesnt send them out, I told him I saw it on their website after selecting his store and then "view flyer for that store"

He gave it to me for the sale price, I just looked in the bag and it looks like mill scraps, nothing special. not that there is anything wrong with mill scraps, thats what RO is for the most part

maybe this is an old bag, I dont know. Would not surprise me

I might try another tru value that has a big bbq dept by me. I am sure at least their stock will be fresh as they are a bigger, busier place

I bought a few bags today. Haven't unloaded them yet. I didn't notice at checkout, but I was charged sales tax.

I called the store and told the mgr. it was the first time that's happened. He said he wasn't aware of it being sold as a tax-free item. I said HD and Lowe's sells it that way. He said he'd check it out and to hang onto my sales slip. I said ok, but I'm thinking more about all the people that have been getting charged sales tax that shouldn't have been, and for how long?

So, why didn't I notice the tax at checkout? Well, of course, the Weber display was near the cash registers. But, my wandering eyes never it past the young lovely working the register. :tsk:

I did the same thing "love BBQ" did; load the true value listing & sale price on my phone and show it to the lead cashier.

Same here except I went straight to a Mgr. first. Showed him the ad on the phone and said No Problem. In fact I don't even think he gave a Rats A$$. Got 4 bags.

I picked up 3 bags to give it a go and see if the quality is up from the past. $9 for 20lb bag of lump is a pretty good deal.

The barcode/sku on the ad is different that what the local Lowes had. They gave me the price match but didn't give me the 10% discount, which didn't bother me at all.

Just ordered 4 bags online to be delivered. If you order more than $30 worth, use the code SPRING5 for an extra 5 bucks off.

32 and change for 4 bags shipped to a local TruValue. If I don't like it...I have 4 new bags of Royal Oak to go back to....

Back