• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cast Iron?

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Is it okay to make chili in a Lodge cast iron dutch oven if you are going to use tomatoes?

I use cook over gas with the one I have , Most of the time cast is the only cookers or skillets I use.

I was just reading a recipe on line that said never to use cast with tomato base soups, sauces, etc. has the acid causes the "seasoning" to break down and the iron to pit. The article also said never to store tomato based soups, etc. in cast as it will do even more damage. I don't have lodge but I do have a lot of Le Crueset, but they are cast that is coated so I guess that's why i never had any prob.

It was a good question as the acid is said to take off the seasoning in your cast iron. Seems to me if you have a very well seasoned DO or whatever you should be able to cook anything you want.

As long as you have a well season Lodge or their pre-seasoned cast iron you are fine. The acidity of a few tomatoes in chili will not be a problem. If you were making a tomato based pasta sauce that requires long simmer time (3 to 4 hours) I would go with enamel lined cast iron or stainless steel.

I have made many batches of chili with diced tomatoes and sauce in my Lodge dutch oven. Just don't leave it overnight as the acidity will gradually breakdown the seasoning built up in the oven and impart a bit of metallic taste.

I've done it many times and have not noticed any change to the seasoning of my dutch oven.

I'm afraid that sometimes the tomato warning gets slightly misunderstood. Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided. So when you are done cooking, and everything has cooled down just transfer the leftovers to something else.... rinse your Dutch oven, dry it in the oven and lightly oil.

Now if your seasoning is still in the immature stages .... obviously it would not have the same defenses as a well seasoned skillet or Dutch oven, and this is where you see some of the warnings. For the same reason, you would not use a griddle with an immature seasoning to make pancakes either.

Thank you all for the info. The chili is simmering now.:biggrin:

I'm afraid that sometimes the tomato warning gets slightly misunderstood. Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided. So when you are done cooking, and everything has cooled down just transfer the leftovers to something else.... rinse your Dutch oven, dry it in the oven and lightly oil.

Now if your seasoning is still in the immature stages .... obviously it would not have the same defenses as a well seasoned skillet or Dutch oven, and this is where you see some of the warnings. For the same reason, you would not use a griddle with an immature seasoning to make pancakes either.

This is what I have found to be true.

Given that you have a properly seasoned CI skillet or Dutch oven, cooking with tomatos is just fine. It's storing something with tomatoes in it that should be avoided.

As always Thirdeye has the words of wisdom.

I use a lodge cast iron dutch oven and wagner pan all the time for my chili without a bit of trouble.

Not tomato related but, anyone out there who has made a gumbo and put okra in it. Have you noticed the okra turns a funky blackish purpley color. I do it anyway because the taste of the okra is not affected. Must just have some kind of chemical reaction with the okra.

Wouldn't make tomato soup/sauce in cast iron, but making chili s/b no prob - make jambalaya in cast iron dutch oven for years, never a problem. I'm with toadhunter...can't believe you didn't put any pron.

Wouldn't make tomato soup/sauce in cast iron, but making chili s/b no prob - make jambalaya in cast iron dutch oven for years, never a problem. I'm with toadhunter...can't believe you didn't put any pron.

Pron will be in the Winter Weekend cook thread.:biggrin:

Back