The Royal or the Jack?

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What if you HAD to choose? Your team is invited to cook in both the Royal and the Jack. Due to whatever reason, budgetary considerations, family or work (time off) concerns etc, you could only cook in one, which would it be and why?

From the rookie side,I would do the Jack if invited as you have the whole draw process to survive.If you win a qualifier to get into the Jack draw odds are that you will get an Invite to the Royal also(unless your from a certain Illinois city).From here it seems the Jack is more highly sought after.The odds of getting there are slim and could only happen once in a lifetime.If you win a qualifier you get to go to KC.My .02

That's so odd, George. I was just thinking about that myself. After yesterday's win, I guess I may be invited to the Royal and got a long shot at the Jack.

Problem is, I have so little time for contests as is and the travel/vacation time is a real issue. I've heard great things about the royal and would love to meet all of the MOFOs, but the Jack seems pretty cool too. I have some time to think about it but I feel bad that I may have to turn down what is an amazing honor so many teams strive for.

I thought about this a bit on the plane ride home from the Jack.

Here's my impression

Jack - viewed by many as the most prestigious, prestige is mainly a result of the selection process which to some degree whittles out many of the best teams that year. Typical contest atmoshpere of a park/field like setting except for the Jack Daniels operations. More subdued team atmosphere, 78 teams total and a dozen or so were international (and most did not place too well). Poor payout. Cool trophies. Met some new Brethren which was cool.

Royal - Two contests in one.. 110 teams in the Invitational (many of the same qualifying teams at the Jack plus more GC's) and then over 450 teams combined in the open. Bit more of a party atmosphere in a parking lot. Good payout. Cool Trophies. Met a ton of new Brethren which was fun.

If I had to make a decision to only do one for whatever reason, it would likely be the AR. Tougher competition, more competition, better payouts.

Jack - harder to qualify and more prestige. It's the world championship.

The Jack, cause I've done the Royal.

Yes.. but it's only harder to qualify based on their selection process not performance. Some of the best teams in the country do not get the chance to prove themselves that year.

I would not be surprised at some point if another competition comes out of nowhere that dubs themselves a World Championship. I've seen it happen in two unrelated sports. The unfortunate part is that it bastardizes what a World Championship is but people will go where the money is or be able to win a title even if it's watered down.

If you had never cooked the Jack before, the Jack. If you had, The Royal. Its harder to get into the Jack so you should take the chance while you got it. I probably slightly prefer the Royal for some of the reasons Vinny mentions.

It is harder to qualify for because of the way the qualifier is run. Qualification is a huge game of chance. It can't be the world championship if most of the world's best teams aren't there. (We had 10 of the top 50 KCBS TOY teams at Kurzweil's this weekend.)

I'll give you prestige.

It can't be the world championship if most of the world's best teams aren't there.

I don't know if most weren't. Some for sure.

It is the only contest that has a real international presence too.

I don't know if most weren't. Some for sure.

It is the only contest that has a real international presence too.

You are correct, not most. How about 'many'? :wink:

Yes.. but it's only harder to qualify based on their selection process not performance. Some of the best teams in the country do not get the chance to prove themselves that year.

I would not be surprised at some point if another competition comes out of nowhere that dubs themselves a World Championship. I've seen it happen in two unrelated sports. The unfortunate part is that it bastardizes what a World Championship is but people will go where the money is or be able to win a title even if it's watered down.

Now there is a idea :)

Hmm.... the Jack. It is more intimate, and has a different vibe to it. Everyone is happy to be there, and even though it is not run as smoothly as some, it is a "go with the flow" vibe. BUT is does seem to be almost a "throwback" -- it is focused on history and tradition. Lots of quirks, but that is what makes it "The Jack". Where else do you get to walk in a parade with Parrots and Beefeaters. Dine in a 100 yr old boarding house, and bootleg your booze into the hollow??

Having said that... the Royal, is well, controlled chaos... so much going on, and so many different vibes -- and it is new again every year. Scrap it out with 500 teams...
It is amazing as well for all it's own reasons.... and there is something to be said for walking up on that stage with all you friends and competitors there. There is nothing like that.

I don't know how you could choose...
Having said that... I hope I never have to choose!! It's one of those things you never want to have to do.

Andy - That is beautiful. Nice summary!

After seeing the Jack this past weekend we are inspired. It is our goal. Our mission. We may not ever get in but it is the pinnacle as far as we are concerned.
Aint that right Matt!

Now before I say anything, I am biased towards KC and the Royal. Not even the Royal, but BBQ contests in KC. I grew up going to the Great Lenexa BBQ before the American Royal even had one, and when it did it was held for 1 day and all the competitors would have fit in Andy's space at the Royal this year. I get the basically out in the boonies feel of the Jack, but I have a problem with that "out in a hollow" feel versus the real world marketing they have for the contest, with Guido Fieri. They sell "The World Championship of BBQ" and Guido "brings this back" from the contest to TGI Fridays. I think it detracts from all the tradition of "The Jack". Now I am in marketing and retail, its a great model, but atleast pay the guys that enable you to claim it is the "World Championship" and you "brought back these recipes" from there. If it is the best of the best (oh thats in GA), pay them like it. The payouts are laughable at the Jack. I wont get started on the lottery system of selecting teams.

And BTW, I think KANSAS is now the center of BBQ, contests atleast.
GAB invit GC- Munchin Hogs in Lenexa KS
GAB open RGC- Munchin Hogs in Lenexa KS
Royal Open GC- 4 men and a Pig in Olathe KS
Royal Open RGC- Dammit Andy in the Dotte KS
The Jack GC - 4 Legs up- Garden City, KS.
Great Lenexa - 3 guys with wood - Shawnee, KS

I purposely left all the Mizzou teams of the list. ;) see you on the 29th of Nov.

The Jack, hands down.

There is no money to win at the Olympics, but nevertheless it is much more prestigious to win a medal there than any compensated professional event. If prize money is your criteria for selecting the premier event, neither the Jack or the Royal are in the running.

Back