Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Just awesome! So glad you're getting paid back for all of the initial problems you faced. Sounds like you have the perfect outlook on things. If you don't sacrifice quality or service (we know the food is great) you will be making people happy for a very long time. Congatulations!!!

*I to keep my wife informed of the posts and she asks me all the time how things are going we love hearing it.

Sounds like you need a bigger place, maybe find you a new building and fit it out just right. :shock:

It was mentioned before but do you have a friend with a large capacity smoker that you can hire or help you out until you see what your business is going to level out to so you can see if you may need to add another cooker?

From a marketing standpoint I think it's a great idea to only cook so much and when your out you close for the day.
1. because it gives people the thought you're selling more bbq than you may actually be doing. So, it must be good/popular
2. people feel they better hurry up and get there if they want some.
3. it creates this demand for your product. some of the most desired things are those things that come in a limited amount.
4. it makes people start talking... "They always sell out of food because the bbq is good." So word spreads faster creating that buzz of it being something popular and good, which makes people want it even more.

Keep the updates coming, but I concur with those who say to let it ride with your current equipment for a good long while before changing anything. Keep selling it out and getting the ROI on your current investment for at least 6 months.

Today was the first day I had a moment where it wasn't fun any more. We were absolutely slammed today and in the midst of the dinner rush the line out the door was just overwhelming. It was taking 30+ minutes for people to even place an order and then another 20+ for us to get the order to the window. Even called one of my employees back to work to help out, but it was impossible to keep up. At one point I had about 20 tickets in the window, a line at the counter at least 20 deep, and a full dining room of people that you could tell were getting tired of waiting for their food. I was close to losing it. To compound problems we had issues with burned corn bread, stalled meat, etc.

The good news about all of that is that it was a new record day. About 300 orders and we were sold out by 6:20. Had people waiting in the parking lot before we opened, and a line out the door for lunch and dinner. Smoker was at capacity most of the day, so not much more we could do. And as far as the line and ticket times, unless we had multiple registers taking orders and about six people on the line filling orders, there's not much more that can be done.

And the craziest thing happened today. It's about 8:30 tonight and I'm walking to my car ready to leave for the night and in the back alley behind the restaurant some lady is running toward me flailing her arms and yelling for me to stop and not leave. I'm like WTF? She runs over to me and says that she knows we're closed, but she begs for some mac and cheese to go. She wanted to buy anything we had leftover in the fridge. Reluctantly I let her in and dug through the fridge and we did have some, so I boxed it all and she handed me some cash. Who am I to judge someone who wants a gallon of mac and cheese that badly. :shock:

For all you know, you may have saved a life tonight. :wacko:

Mac n cheese, but really you have to be careful because that's a great decoy to have someone else waiting to bust in and rob you. Be careful there.

Mac n cheese, but really you have to be careful because that's a great decoy to have someone else waiting to bust in and rob you. Be careful there.

That is exactly what I was thinking. If something like that happens again just tell them you have nothing left.

From 8-80 male or female I recommend this book highly. About 8$ on Amazon. I've given away many copies of this to friend, family and acquaintances. Not just for the lady rushing you flailing her arms, but many everyday situations.

Best wishes on your q-joint

Last edited:

I agree as busy as you have been the bad guys would think it might be a good payday for them to rob you.

In this day and age nothing surprises me.

What are the concealed carry laws in your state? If lenient and legal, I'd consider a little "concealed security".....

If you don't want to get robbed, make a run to the bank deposit drop while there is still a line. Too many witnesses who just might protect you too. Alter your scheduletoo.

I have a concealed carry permit, but don't carry. But it's probably not a bad idea.

It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster will take care of any trouble that may come your way. I never leave the house without mine. It disappears in the front pocket of a pair of khakis.

Wow, I totally did not see what you guys saw. Probably because I am far more used to having people come up after a vend waving arms and begging to buy whatever we didn't sell, that this strikes me as quite normal.

Now, when I worked at the gun shop and at the restaurant, we did make the bank run at varying hours, and always in the middle of the day. That just makes sense.

Back