ABT's

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There are a zillion ABT recipes out there. For some reason I have never gotten around to making them.

I am cooking for my sons grad party on Friday and figured this would be a good time to try my hand at them.

So what recipe, method do you perfer? Nothing real complicated, I like the ones with the cocktail franks or chicken, cream cheese type. I dont want to make an involved stuffing with a lot of ingredients as I will be making a bunch of other stuff too while the brisket is on the smoker.

the other thing I see is people have trouble getting the bacon cooked right, I would like to know how to go about doing that properly too.

I am taking the day off Friday, just to cook. Never did that before, should be a blast

thanks

12 jalapeños, 1 package cream cheese, 1/2 T creole seasoning, 1 T Valentina's hot sauce, 12 pcs of thick cut bacon. Slice peppers open lengthwise and use a small spoon to scrape them out. Mix ingredients together and fill, wrap with bacon and hold with toothpick. I smoke them at 300-325 till bacon looks finished. With the thicker bacon it seems to be done at the same time as the jalapeños(tender crisp). If you have leftover pulled pork you can double the jalapeños by stuffing one half with it.

12 jalapeños, 1 package cream cheese, 1/2 T creole seasoning, 1 T Valentina's hot sauce, 12 pcs of thick cut bacon. Slice peppers open lengthwise and use a small spoon to scrape them out. Mix ingredients together and fill, wrap with bacon and hold with toothpick. I smoke them at 300-325 till bacon looks finished. With the thicker bacon it seems to be done at the same time as the jalapeños(tender crisp). If you have leftover pulled pork you can double the jalapeños by stuffing one half with it.

great. thanks. I do have some pulled pork as I did a butt this past weekend.

do you put the peppers back together or leave them as halves? Are you just slicing them open to stuff or are you cutting them in half?

Sorry, just slicing them open not cutting in half. Experiment with your cooker by cooking them in 3's or 4's before the party.

I made some the other day using some onion and chive cream cheese, mixed in a little sharp pinconning that I shredded fine, piped it into seeded and cored Jalaps using a ziplock bag with aq corner cut off. Wrapped with thin cut bacon(no need for toothpicks here, it sticks fine) lightly seasoned with rub and smoked at about 250-275 for about an hour and a half until bacon was crisp. I prefer thin cut bacon as it crisps up better, but if you go hot and fast I guess thick cut could work too. I've also made them by cutting the peppers in half lengthwise to make boats- easier and faster to make, doubles your servings and you can eat more too. ABT's kick a$$

Been making these for a few years now...I like to use large peppers(16) that I cut in half and clean seeds and vanes..Then, and I've only made a few batches this way so far, but like it, I stick them in the broiler for 5, maybe 7 or 8 min(personal preference) so they are "mostly" done cooking before I stuff...They do end up more "flat", but not a biggie...

Then just a mixture of garlic/cream cheese in a baggie with corner cut out...Squeeze a "decent amount on each half, but not so much that it will ooze out during cooking..Takes a time or 2 to figure "your" amount and technique. Then a smokie/hot sausage or? on 1 half, that I keep these peppers "together, so as to not have a large/small, but probably doesn't matter.........

Then I wrap a whole piece of bacon(16/#) around the pepper after putting the halfs together....Easier with two persons, but not impossible by yourself...I do not need/use toothpicks either...Then place them on a raised grill on a cookie sheet to keep grease out of grill...They do not last long, and a time or 2 I made them and ate them ALL!!! The pepper is hard to cook thoroughly and not melt all the cheese out or burn the bacon...I prefer the bacon "chewy"...Here is a pic from a winter grill...There are snowflakes in the pic...I did use picks here though, and this was with unbroiled peppers...Good, but the peppers always seemed to not be "done" to my liking...Broiling them will take some bite out too..

Attachments

• abt.jpg
    abt.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 179
These are not exactly ABT's, but they were darned good:

Stuffed_Jalapenos.jpg

I took 8 jalapenos (fresh from my garden) :becky: ...

removed the tops, split them lengthwise, and removed the seeds.

I then mixed together (amounts are approximate, but close):

1/2 package of cream cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped smoked pork (I always keep a little extra in the freezer)
1 TBsp bacon bits
1 tsp rub

I mixed all that together and sh-meared it into the pepper boats. I cooked them for about 90 minutes at 250.

They were awesome (if I do say so myself!) :-D

(sorry -- no pic of the finished product - but they are prettier pre-cook anyway)

These are not exactly ABT's, but they were darned good:

View attachment 78945

I took 8 jalapenos (fresh from my garden) :becky: ...

removed the tops, split them lengthwise, and removed the seeds.

I then mixed together (amounts are approximate, but close):

1/2 package of cream cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped smoked pork (I always keep a little extra in the freezer)
1 TBsp bacon bits
1 tsp rub

I mixed all that together and sh-meared it into the pepper boats. I cooked them for about 90 minutes at 250.

They were awesome (if I do say so myself!) :-D

(sorry -- no pic of the finished product - but they are prettier pre-cook anyway)

they do sound good

but...

I feel the need to wrap something in bacon!!!

Yeah, I was feeling kinda lazy (hence the bacon bits.)

Bacon-wrapped is ALWAYS better. :becky:

I stuff mine with cream cheese, cheddar, a little sour cream, diced up naked fatty and some rub. SM Sweet and Spicy works great. I cut my peppers in half, scrape out the guts and wrap each half with half a piece of bacon.

The cream cheese makes the filling a little lighter so some inevitably falls out onto the grate, but that's the best part. Somewhat of a delicacy around my household. :thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133648

Back