BBQ knives

Mundial - former german company who now is based in Brazil but prouces great quality knives at half the price of Henckels and Wusthof. IMHO they are better balanced and feel better in hand..... I own 2 chefs knives and all the others - love them. Especially the santoku with granton edge....

Ditto!

Cheers

We have a set of Henckles Four-Star Friodur and they are great for my standard work. If I'm looking to do some serious stuff, I have a mint set of high carbon, old style Chicago Cutlery. These are not anything like what is sold today under that brand name. I got them when they were already 20 years old, still in the original wrapper. I use them rarely because of their age and the care that carbon steel requires. They are very sturdy and balance well in the hand.

Got set of 4 Wolfgang Puck knives on sale for about 40 bucks knocked down from like 110??(I think,it was).

You got ripped-off. :p

Local Sam's Club has a 6 pack of W.Puck knives for about $20.

Regarding the original question: I don't like to drag my expensive knives out of the kitchen. Luckily, there's a local knife shop that will sharpen knives. I also have a cheap electric that works fine.

I'm not a comp guy but I've had a set of Wuesthof Classic knives for 4.5 years and they are great - but they are expensive. I will be adding a 12" Forschner Granton edge soon.

If my pockets were lined with gold it'd be all Japanese knives

Most of the knives I've bought are Mundials or Forschners. They can't be beat for the price/quality ratio. I've been given a few Global and Wuesthof knives as presents, they're excellent knives, but for myself I don't see any clear benefit to justify the extra expense.

Make sure you physically handle whichever knives you choose to buy. Different people prefer a different balance in a knife, and if you're going to be spending a lot on knives make sure you like the feel of the ones you choose.

Very happy with the Forschners I've purchased from Ambrosi Bros. in Kansas City.

Their site is being revamped but I'm sure you can call and place your order. Ask for the Comp BBQ edge they do. It's worth it.

I like Dexter Russel, good solid knives and good price. I love my 14" Forschner scimitar for slicing brisket.

I've got a Pampered Chef chef's knife that the wife bought about 10 years ago and I still use it all the time. I recently bought a couple of boning knives from Sam's that work great for trimming/cutting meat and poultry. Kitchen shears for the tough work.

I got a entire knife set from the in-laws for Christmas. Literally says "As seen on TV" on the box. Cheapo's for sure, but the set comes with a decent cleaver that I've used a few times.

I won't spend a lot of money on knives.......then again, I'm a MAJOR cheap arse!:becky:
Plus....I don't compete or cater either.

You know what......don't listen to me.

I am a Forschner man first and Pampered Chef man 2nd.

After making several hundred tri-tip sammies this year, I am considering a couple cordless electric knives.

Hi-jack mod: I need recommendations

1. Mr. Twister

Cordless electric knives do not have the power over a long cutting session that you may need.

Mr. Twister isn't cordless.

The Cuisinart electric got the best review and has the most powerful moter, but I hate the handle myself.

The cheap Black & Decker E-Knives are fair units and are almost desposable at $11.00 from their outlet store.

Here is a review of some

http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-electric-knife.php

Cordless electric knives do not have the power over a long cutting session that you may need.

Mr. Twister isn't cordless.

The Cuisinart electric got the best review and has the most powerful moter, but I hate the handle myself.

The cheap Black & Decker E-Knives are fair units and are almost desposable at $11.00 from their outlet store.

Here is a review of some

http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-electric-knife.php

I bought the Cuisinart, Zilla.
Thanks!

The forged Wusthof lines are made in Germany. The cheaper consumer lines are made elsewhere. I love my old Wusthof and have not handled a better knife, other than a Kramer, which I will never own.

I like Dexter Russel, good solid knives and good price. I love my 14" Forschner scimitar for slicing brisket.

I agree on the Dexter, but i don't do comps. Can be picked up reasonable on Flea-bay :heh:

I am a big "you get what you pay for" guy when it comes to knives. A good quality knife, or set of knives will pay for itself over its lifetime.

That said I have always had a couple of electric knives on hand and they work pretty well. I don't like how they 'chew up' the edges on very tender pieces of meat...say an overcooked brisket or well done ribs. However, when serving in the backyard, they are a great time saver.

I would love to hear any recommendations for good quality cordless electric knives. Battery life seems to be a major issue with the ones I have seen so far.

I've got a Pampered Chef chef's knife that the wife bought about 10 years ago and I still use it all the time. I recently bought a couple of boning knives from Sam's that work great for trimming/cutting meat and poultry. Kitchen shears for the tough work.

I got a entire knife set from the in-laws for Christmas. Literally says "As seen on TV" on the box. Cheapo's for sure, but the set comes with a decent cleaver that I've used a few times.

I won't spend a lot of money on knives.......then again, I'm a MAJOR cheap arse!:becky:
Plus....I don't compete or cater either.

You know what......don't listen to me.
MY FIL got a set of these and just opened them. I was actually impressed with a couple of the knives in the set, the cleaver being one of them and the santoku style knife being the other. A whole ton of knives that are fairly sharp for like $20.

MY FIL got a set of these and just opened them. I was actually impressed with a couple of the knives in the set, the cleaver being one of them and the santoku style knife being the other. A whole ton of knives that are fairly sharp for like $20.

Yeah, the carving knife, cleaver, cheese knife and carving fork are one's that I've never had but always wanted. They're not THAT bad. The cheese knife looks like a santoku, but it's a bit shorter and the edge is not as straight. Still don't have a santoku.

Just got home and looked. They're RONCO brand. :heh::heh:

Pretty sharp, just don't know how they'll last.
Oh well, free to me.

Now this thread's got me curious. Gonna look at some Wusthof's online just for chits and giggles.

Back