Sausage, Cheese & Green Chili Fatty Kolaches

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I cooked these kolaches for the breakfast throwdown. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Pride has gotten the better of me and I'm going to give them their own thread. Having had two more for breakfast and another two for lunch, I am now going to have a nap before the games start.

Ready to Roll
DSC_0284.jpg

Ready for the smoke
DSC_0286.jpg

Resting while the kolache dough rises
DSC_0292.jpg

Fatty meets kolache dough - I think I'm on to something here.
DSC_0293.jpg

Rolling old school, we cooked up a batch in the dutch oven.
DSC_0298.jpg

Ready to eat!
DSC_0301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kolaches, boy reminds me of the days in LaGrange, and Smithville....... Nice work HIGH Q..........

I could use one of those right now High. Your proportions of fatty to dough look perfect. I want one, dipped in something.....? Gravey? What do ya think?

Kolaches are a czech thing. There have been czechs and germans in Texas for time out of mind, particulary in central Texas. Traditionally a kolache is a sweet yeast dough with a fruit filling. A sausage or meat version is really a klobasnek but just about everybody calls them kolaches too.

Yea ,but dip High! What would ya dip it in if ya had to?

Yea ,but dip High! What would ya dip it in if ya had to?

Gravy works for everything so a good sausage gravy would be great. I might look real close at a green chili salsa. It would have just the right bite for the sausage & green chilis in the kolache. But left to my own devices, I would probably dip them in a good german mustard. The bite of the mustard is perfect with the sausage and the kick from the green chilis in the kolache would be a great one two punch.

That sounds so good, I'm going to go warm a couple up and give it a whirl!

There ya go. That's what I was lookin for. Ya got me hooked. Gonna try'em. Thanks High. I bet those would even be good as horse"dures with that dip and some ABTs .cut in to 1" sections on a platter those kolaches would draw blood.

Looks tasty from here too!
I had to back up to see where you live.... flipflop weather? That's nice!:-D

Back