While I'm on the Subject of Fuel for Smoking

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been using Pecan Shells now for a few years. Layer some Briquettes then layer some Shells, alternating as I fill up the Coal Basket. I recently received three, 5 gallon buckets full of Walnut shells from my Great Auntie that I'm going to try.
I'm interested to know what else y'all have used to Smoke with, besides the traditional split hardwood and fruitwood, along these lines?

never used any shells man... kinda curious though... how do you like the flavor of the pecans?
I would think/guess that the shell would have more oil and thus produce a heavier smoke than the wood?

I don't live in an area that cranks out the walnuts or pecans so I guess I'd have a tough time finding any to use anyways...

BTW - I always use pine lodge pole for smoking.. mmmm! lol JK!

Hmmm, there's a pecan tree in the back yard. I need to start saving the shells and give that a try.

Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself? Can a person use limbs and twigs as well?

To answer your question, all I've used so far is hickory wood chunks... nothing unusual.

Hmmm, there's a pecan tree in the back yard. I need to start saving the shells and give that a try.

Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself? Can a person use limbs and twigs as well?

To answer your question, all I've used so far is hickory wood chunks... nothing unusual.

Cut that sumbiskit down and by next summer you'll have good wood to burn! :biggrin:

In my limited experience, limbs are ok if they are 3-4" in diameter, twigs... lotta bark and little wood, usually = campfire flavor :icon_sick

The Brown Shell is what I use. And I think Limbs of a sizable diameter would be fine. I'm cutting some limbs outta Daddy's Oak Tree tomorrow and am gonna sawzall them down to a manageable size and stack them to dry for future use.

Are you talking about the green outer shell or the brown shell around the nut itself?

The green outer shells are called hulls or husks...and, not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of trying hickory hulls on the fire. Has anyone tried that? How about whole hickory nuts on the fire?

never used any shells man... kinda curious though... how do you like the flavor of the pecans?
I would think/guess that the shell would have more oil and thus produce a heavier smoke than the wood?
The Pecan Shells impart a very pleasant Smokey Flavor to the meatstuff I've been smoking. The Pecans were shelled last year and allowed to dry. I haven't tried freshly shelled ones, but I imagine it would be like smoking with green wood.

My grandfather, Chief Eagle Eye Crummel, told me Native Americans used to bag a bunch of black walnut husk and throw them in a stream, then just pick up the fish as they floated to the top poisoned by the husk. Just saying.

Jeff

What would you think about dried hulls, N8?
Firstly, a warning about using nut shells. Keep in mind that individuals that suffer from nut allergies should stay away from the smoking process and foodstuffs that have been smoked with nut shells. I don't know if once used, whether or not the Smoker becomes contaminated by the nut shell smoke.
Be forewarned. Do it at your own risk!!!! I'd hate for anyone to become deathly ill because of something I've advocated for myself.
Secondly, I have found no data, for or against, in using the hulls for smoking. That's not to say that no data exists, but in a google search about walnut hulls all I have been able to turn up so far are the benefits of adding them for a dietary supplement. And we all know dietary supplements are lax in ways of having extensive FDA testing done.

Have you tried burning any by themselves? I know you should not use walnut for smoking, I was thinking the same for the shells.

Have you tried burning any by themselves? I know you should not use walnut for smoking, I was thinking the same for the shells.
I thought the general consensus was that any fruit or nut bearing tree
was alright to smoke food with.

I use Pecan shells also, but mostly for grilling. But to answer your question, one of the other things I've used is corncobs.

Sorry, you should not use walnut by itself. Walnut gives off a bitter smoke that does not taste good by itself. In the post below there is a list of the woods that are good for smoking. The list is a few posts down from the OP.

Walnut search

I haved used Hickory nuts for flavor in grillin and smoking. I prefer the seasoned wood, last longer and doesn't seem as bitter. IMO

I'm a big fan of pecan for most stuff but I once read somewhere that Lilac can be used to smoke and have since procured a couple of good sized pieces from my folks. I just can't bring myself to use it...yet. Maybe on some chicken thighs or another inexpensive cut?

Also, having a pecan tree in our backyard, I think I'd stay away from the husks. I have never tried them, but since I'm smoking some stuff today, I think I'll gather a few and burn them in a separate fire to get an idea what they smell like. Will post my opinion later today.

Back