How to get a WSM round, and keep it that way.

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey all!
I have a 22.5 WSM and had a problem with the top and center being oval from day one. I used a tape measure across the pieces and can get them "fairly" round. By fairly, I mean within 1/8" measured at several points around the circle. No matter how perfect I get them, the lid won't fit inside the main body. Nothing has been dropped, no dents or bends anywhere.

The first time I smoked with the unit, the lid got stuck on the body and it took so much force to get them apart that the paint chipped off the handle when it bent. Weber warrantied the lid, but of course it came in slightly oval. I can make it almost perfectly round, but no matter how I "clock" the pieces, they won't nest into each other.

Of course my biggest fear is that they lock together with food and fire in them. Getting them apart last time was a fight, and that was with no food in there and it wasn't hot.

Sorry for so much typing, hopefully I didn't lose you.

Any ideas what the deal is? (should I call Weber again?)
How do I get them round?
Is there a way to brace them so they don't get oval again?

Thanks guys!
Bob

Thanks!
Their CS is fanatastic. I just feel like a jerk asking for more free stuff. If anything, I'd be getting a new center body section???
I've already gotten a new lid because of the paint flaking off.

If it hasn't been right since day one, you shouldn't feel like a jerk for asking Weber to make it right.

My WSM goes together with ease, and never binds at any level. Your's should, too.

CD

I have to agree with caseydog, and mine had always fit together very well. You shouldn't b have to pry the lid off. Give them a call. Those are great smokers, but of it isn't working correctly you'll start getting frustrated with it and may get tired of smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get no help from Weber, try putting a ratcheting tie down strap around the barrel and see if you can squeeze it back in shape. Go slow and not too tight.

Yea, you guys might be right. I think I'll call them tonight.

Tell me something though.....(and this might be hard to visualize)....
The area where the lid rests on the main body, the little 1/4" "shelf" that it sits on is surrounded by a vertical wall about 3/8" tall. On mine, that wall is tilted inward just a hint. It seems to me that if that wasn't there, the lid would lay down inside the "wall" just right.
Is that wall vertical on yours, or are they supposed to angle in a bit?

Thanks guys,
Bob

Thanks!
Their CS is fanatastic. I just feel like a jerk asking for more free stuff. If anything, I'd be getting a new center body section???
I've already gotten a new lid because of the paint flaking off.
My WSM had the same issue with the center slightly out of round. I didn't want to chip the finish by messing with it myself, so I called Weber. I got a new center section delivered (for free) in less than a week. (They don't send a new door or grate brackets)

After I got the new one, I bent the old one into round, and now I have eyes on making another WSM out of a OTS.

The vertical wall you are talking about is straight up vertical on mine...I would suspect that if it was bent in that the lid wouldn't fit right.

The vertical wall you are talking about is straight up vertical on mine...I would suspect that if it was bent in that the lid wouldn't fit right.
Aaahhh yea.... I'm thinking that the root cause.
It's bent all the way around, and looks perfect, like it's supposed to be like that.

So what did weber say?
I wasn't going to call them. Was feeling lazy. But since you called me out..... ;)

I put her on speaker phone, hung the phone on my shirt pocket, and "took her" into the garage where she wanted me to be by the grill.
The lady encouraged me to go ahead and push the lid down as that's the way it's supposed to be. "It's supposed to seal the smoke in you see".

Yea, well... "I'm not too hip on the idea of doing that. I've been in that rodeo before". :hand:

"Go ahead and shove it down", she said.

Ok fine.

I told her it's not very willing to seal and that I'm putting too much force on it. "It shouldn't be this hard", I said.

"Push it harder" she said. :shocked:

BAMMMM.....I knew that made her ears ring.
"Well, there we go. It's locked in now" I told her, rather smugly.

Her voice got real soft and she said, "Ok, now, lift it up".

It took a LOT of force to get it off. When it did, the lid slipped out of my hand, bounced off a concrete garage wall, off the phone on my chest and finally bounced on the ground.

I know she heard that. :laugh:

With a voice of someone who has been humbled, she says;
"Ok Sir. I'll be shipping a new center section to you. It should arrive in about ten days".

Back