• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Texas Tech Drum Corps (UDS Complete)

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After long last, my UDS is complete. A couple of key features:

I bought some springs and round bar. We formed the handles with the springs in the middle to make 'cool touch' handles

IMG00041-20101122-1518.jpg

IMG00039-20101122-1448.jpg

After fabricating the handles and welding them on, I did the burn out. When the skin temp of the drum was 900+, the handles were only 200. When the drum cooled down to 300, the handles were 80 or so (using a laser temperature gizmo). They seem to work pretty well. Some pictures of the fabrication. My buddy Vance is welding, my son is hopping around and watching.

IMG00045-20101122-1714.jpg

My helper

IMG00042-20101122-1553.jpg

The burn out

UDSBurnIn.jpg

Assembly

PICT0614.jpg

The charcoal basket is expanded metal on 2 x 2 tubing with a round stock handle to pull the basket. I used a spare WSM charcoal ring to make the basket.

DSC_0108.jpg

First fire

DSC_0111.jpg

First brisket on the grate and cook underway

DSC_0112.jpg

Nice build, love the handles !! + 1 where's the thermo. I would put some bricks under the drum, so it's not sitting on the concrete. (jmo)

Nice build!
1 or 2 grates?
And where is the thermo?

Currently one grate. I have two grates on the WSM and don't use them the second all that much. We'll see what happens.

The thermometer is on the back side about 120 degrees from the bottle opener. A probe grommet is another 120 degress around, both about 2" below the top grate.

Is that a BGE vent? Those handles are the BOOBIES.

Drum looks great, now finish the Ford.

That is an XL BGE vent. So far, it's been running about 275 all morning with about 3/4" of vent open. I guess the other 7" of vent area is just for show!

Beautiful build brother, looks great, wish I had your tool/skill set!

Awesome Job, thank you for the picture and the step by step, that is one of the best uds ever

Do you think the basket is big enough for a 12 hour smoke? Would look better with a jayhawk on it.

Do you think the basket is big enough for a 12 hour smoke? Would look better with a jayhawk on it.

I ran it about 10 hours on Friday at 275 and had no trouble and the basket wasn't jam full. The WSM ring just sits on the expanded metal base. I am planning on building a narrower, taller basket for longer cooks.

I couldn't get in to Kansas.

Back