• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Practice

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok this is what I was doing the same day I went into the hospital.

Can't find it now but there was a thread about making up garnish boxes, how to and I had a slab of ribs that went long in the fridge so thought I would spearment.

First is the bed of ice burge lettuce chopped with the larger leafs used to cover the chopped lettuce so the meat will not pick it up when judges put it on their cards, I hate that but don't judge down for it. Then I laid in the parsley followed by the meat.

100_1093.jpg

This is not how I normally arrange the ribs but I could not get any better cuts so I did it this way. Also I may have the borders just a little to wide for my liking but once again the ribs would not let me do it any other way. I was pressed for time because I had to go to work but thought that kind of made it more like a real turn in time situation.

Comments welcome.
Dave

100_1106.jpg

Looks good to me.

I agree with you on "thinning down" the borders.

Good job.

TIM

looks great!!! thinning down the edges might help with the hang over on the sides of the box..A+++ in my book!!

That is very nice! And I like the way the Iceberg lettuce acts as a base and props the ribs.

It sure is pretty, but wont you get a 1 in apperence for the iceburg lettuce. I thought you could only use green leaf. someone correct me if I am wrong

iceberg lettuce might have green leaves, and i guess is allowed at comps, but i dont think it is what is commonly known as green leaf lettuce.
phil

It's still legal.

I like the box a LOT, Dave. My only concern with that is that the ribs lay down in the box a little low for my liking. I like the greens to push them upward and then they sit more on top of or above the parsely. That's just my own personal preference. Still, a very nice looking box though.

BTW... WHere the fark did you find such nice looking parsley in January/February? I haven't seen a decent looking sprig of the stuff since October!

iceberg lettuce might have green leaves, and i guess is allowed at comps, but i dont think it is what is commonly known as green leaf lettuce.
phil

This use to throw me to, it is not just green leaf lettuce. It is green leafs of lettuce.

9. Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced,
shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley,
flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red tipped
lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are prohibited.
(Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on
Appearance)

Great looking box! I would have given that a 9!

My only question, looks like a bigger box than we get out here in CA for competitions?

Last edited:
It's still legal.

I like the box a LOT, Dave. My only concern with that is that the ribs lay down in the box a little low for my liking. I like the greens to push them upward and then they sit more on top of or above the parsely. That's just my own personal preference. Still, a very nice looking box though.

BTW... WHere the fark did you find such nice looking parsley in January/February? I haven't seen a decent looking sprig of the stuff since October!

Believe it or not I picked up the parsley about 2:00am at Wal-Mart, about 4 days before I used it and I did not even shock it. I agree that I should have put more chopped lettuce under the middle to raise up the meat.
Dave

This use to throw me to, it is not just green leaf lettuce. It is green leafs of lettuce.

9. Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced,
shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley,
flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red tipped
lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are prohibited.
(Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1) on
Appearance)

Great looking box! I would have given that a 9!

My only question, looks like a bigger box than we get out here in CA for competitions?

No the photo may make it look bigger but its the standard size used at comps. It seems to me though I have heard that at times, there have been smaller boxes used, not sure about that.
Dave

Dave

Back