• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

We're In The Bacon!

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of folks are smoking their bacon off at a smoker temp of 200° F, and the product to an IT of 150°F. I wondered why since the bacon was going to be fried, so I avoided this method. I usually smoke at lower temps and pull at 127° F, or cold smoke. This weekend I had to see for myself. Took a belly, cut into thirds, skinned, and dry cured for ten days at 138°F-141°F(cure #1, K salt, brown sugar, and a sprinkle of maple sugar).
bacondc12.jpg
bacondc11.jpg
bacondc9.jpg

Did a four hour soak, changing water once prior to smoking.
bacondc7.jpg

Cold smoked for eight hours, apple. Temps were 73°F-80°F for the first six hours, and gradually gradually rose to 90°F.
bacondc2.jpg

Belly #2 was smoked in the Pro Q Stacker, using a snake minion, and Australian pine chunks. I was shooting for 130°F smoker temp. Didn't happen. It ran between 145°F and 150°F. (All intake dampers closed!)
bacondc6.jpg

Six hours later
bacondc3.jpg

Pulled at 127°F
bacondc4.jpg

The subject belly was smoked in the UDS at 175°F-212°F to an IT of 150°F(Australian pine chunks). Pulled in Three hours!
bacondc5.jpg

Said trio of porky goodness. From the left, 150°F, 127°F. and cold smoked.
bacondc1.jpg

bacondc15.jpg

The acid test!
bacondc13.jpg

The higher temp bacon sliced easily after chilled, the other two needed to be thrown into the freezer a bit to firm up in order to slice.
They were all KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!, But the unanimous favorite was the hot smoked bacon:shock:. Dang, all these years wasted:tsk:. AND done in only three hours:thumb:.The pieces weighed about 3 1/2 lbs.
We're in the bacon. Thanks for lookin!
bacondc16.jpg

Great looking bacon......

Thanks for doing the leg work and answering the questions we all share...

You said you used "Australian pine chunks"? is this really pine or is it another name for the popular Acacia wood in Australia???

Great job and thanks for the hard work...........You guys are killin me with this bacon though.............

Nice comparison.I would have bet a dollar that the cold smoked would have left the others in the dust. Guess ya never know til ya try em all.:cool:

I'm kinda surpised the hotter cooked/higher IT bacon came out better. I'm glad it did though, 'cause that's how I do it. :heh:

Looks very good sir and thanks for doing this. I always enjoy yer pix and posts! :clap2:

Nice comparison.I would have bet a dollar that the cold smoked would have left the others in the dust. Guess ya never know til ya try em all.:cool:

exactly what i was thinking. i may have to try going with a higher temp next time.

Question......????? Your post shows the shrinkage from hot,to med,to cold. Left to right.I understand the hot smoked slab being smaller,than the medium, then the cold smoked remaining full sized.However the cooked pics are opposite of that,it shows the hot smoked slices much bigger than the cold smoked piece if they are in fact in the same position after smoking?Please explain.Maybe the cold smoked rendered that much more,just wondering.:shock: I am guessing the cold smoked is on the left and the hot smoked is on the right in the sliced pic.???

judging by the times & color the cold smoked should have gone a lot longer. I usually keep the pit 50-85 degrees & go for about 24-30 hours.

of course this was a bit hard to read because the thread is 6 feet wide...:icon_smile_tongue:

I do not understand. I always dry cure in refrigerator but you are suggesting 10days at around 140f. From my limited experience in long term cooking sous vide it would be cooked 5 times over in the curing process!!! Definitely confuses me.

Thanks for the information. I too was confused by cure temperatures. I assume they should be minus 100 degrees, but you all know what they say about assuming.

Thanks for the information. I too was confused by cure temperatures. I assume they should be minus 100 degrees, but you all know what they say about assuming.

40F sounds perfect for me!!!

I'm kinda surpised the hotter cooked/higher IT bacon came out better. I'm glad it did though, 'cause that's how I do it. :heh:

Me too! I was real surprised with the amount of fat that rendered out we I fried it. So good!

Surprised the heck out of me too!

Question......????? Your post shows the shrinkage from hot,to med,to cold. Left to right.I understand the hot smoked slab being smaller,than the medium, then the cold smoked remaining full sized.However the cooked pics are opposite of that,it shows the hot smoked slices much bigger than the cold smoked piece if they are in fact in the same position after smoking?Please explain.Maybe the cold smoked rendered that much more,just wondering.:shock: I am guessing the cold smoked is on the left and the hot smoked is on the right in the sliced pic.???
The smaller and darker piece(on left) is the hot smoked. It did not shrink as much as pictured, it was trimmed up a bit before smoking. Also, I was able to slice up the hot smoked slab whole, but had to cut the med and cold smoked slabs in half to slice.

I do not understand. I always dry cure in refrigerator but you are suggesting 10days at around 140f. From my limited experience in long term cooking sous vide it would be cooked 5 times over in the curing process!!! Definitely confuses me.
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: OOPS! Thanks for catching that. It was 38°-41°F for ten days.

Looks awesome!

Thanks for the tip on temps. I just got done with a batch of berkshire bacon and cold smoked it. Next time I'm going try the other way.

I have only made bacon once and it was BBB

The recipe I used said to hot smoke it to 150f which I did. took about 8 hours using hickory

they stated that hot smoking it would give it a more intense bacon flavor.

It tasted fine, reminded me more of candian bacon though. Might have been because I was using butt.

I have 8 lbs of belly curing right now for smoking this weekend, I was going to try cold smoking it, but now I am not so sure

Back