Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Rumor has it that between competitions Brendan resides on a mountain top where searchers of truth can seek him out to answer life's deeper conundrums.

Eric

Sled I think that if you get off at exit 57 and make a right at your first light you may find your table.

Rumor has it that between competitions Brendan resides on a mountain top where searchers of truth can seek him out to answer life's deeper conundrums.

Eric

My latest advice is to drop your pork butts and briskets in the mud in the middle of the night... seemed to have worked for a certain team out there from a certain emerald mountain.

I've tried a lot of different rubs, never thought to try mud, dirt and fire extinguisher chemicals. I now have something to experiment over the winter.

Hey Sled - Care to know where Big Barry kept that rubber chicken before the awards?

Great seeing everyone. Congrats to SIDE and Blazin Butts!

Hi everyone...Just want to congratulate everyone that walked. Also want to thank everyone for making Jimmy & I feel right at home. The Brethren is truely a remarkable organization and we are both happy to be a part of it. Once again thanks to everyone that was so nice to us and we are looking forward to seeing you all soon and hopefully do a competition or two next year.

Dan & Jimmy

Forgot to thank Vinny for letting us use his Spicewine!! Missed GC by 2.286 points probably because we were rumored to be cooking w/o water and useing a guru.:wink:

BTW any rumors about Spice cooking this method, all I can say is " No Pix !! didn't happen!!" 8)

Great contest!! Thanks for being such great hosts and hostesses.

Spice

My latest advice is to drop your pork butts and briskets in the mud in the middle of the night... seemed to have worked for a certain team out there from a certain emerald mountain.

He's gonna make a great state rep.

sniff.
sniff.
Wish i was there. :cry::cry:

In all honesty.. being at The Jack was a thrill. Getting the Old no 7 banner with our name on it was really awesome, and trying our thing against some of the best although nerve wracking was somethign we always drewmed about. But this contest was in the back of my mind. I was talking with Eric, Sled and Linda throughout and was living it vicariously thru them. As much as an experience the Jack was, this contest seems to have an allure to us as a group that no other has.

Its great that it was a success with a few minor trip ups(apples anyone?) and hopefully the chamber will have us back again next year as well as you folks who made it the success will return so I can reclaim that title. :wink:

Congratulations to everyone, Not just our new Grand Champions, but everyone that attended and made for a great time in spite of monsoons (and rubber chickens).

One last thing.. Eric Devlin(Motoeric) really busted arse this year working with the Sayville chamber of commerce. Although a few of us helped as an 'ideas/planning' committe in meetings, when it came to following up and executing, Eric(with the help of the chamber) did nearly everything on his own. Without either of them, this would not be possible and we all owe them a huge thanks.

sniff.
sniff.
Wish i was there. :cry::cry:

In all honesty.. being at The Jack was a thrill. Getting the Old no 7 banner with our name on it was really awesome, and trying our thing against some of the best although nerve wracking was somethign we always drewmed about. But this contest was in the back of my mind. I was talking with Eric, Sled and Linda throughout and was living it vicariously thru them. As much as an experience the Jack was, this contest seems to have an allure to us as a group that no other has.

Its great that it was a success with a few minor trip ups(apples anyone?) and hopefully the chamber will have us back again next year as well as you folks who made it the success will return so I can reclaim that title. :wink:

Congratulations to everyone, Not just our new Grand Champions, but everyone that attended and made for a great time in spite of monsoons (and rubber chickens).

One last thing.. Eric Devlin(Motoeric) really busted arse this year working with the Sayville chamber of commerce. Although a few of us helped as an 'ideas/planning' committe in meetings, when it came to following up and executing, Eric(with the help of the chamber) did nearly everything on his own. Without either of them, this would not be possible and we all owe them a huge thanks.
Hi and welocme to the forum, now go on over to cattle call and introduce yourself:tongue:

OK now that everyone else has had their say, I would like to thank everyone, Eric all the teams, Don, Leslie, Ken and Kathy for helping out. It was a FUN event especially Sat even though I didn't get any food. (just the downfall of being a rep) Then again I didn't get any on Sunday either, keying my poor little fingers to the bone.... not that I need it, but as Eric knows I am a chocoholic and he fed my addiction on Sat so thank you so much. .... Everyone was great, thanks again and we look forward to next year. The pushing the limits only had 4 entries and I would have loved to see more that was cool and I think Pigmaker learned something....

I didn't have time to take to many pics. The first is the hot dog category. It was Keri C's hot dog apple beans. Hot dogs do not belong in these and finished somewhere in the back of the pack where it deserved. Sorry Keri :icon_blush: The pizza was a fresh figs, goat cheese, prosciutto with a balsamic vinegar reduction. It tasted real good but looked but looked like crap.Behind the pizza is the only shot I have of my lasagna from chefs choice

Last edited:
Hi everyone...Just want to congratulate everyone that walked. Also want to thank everyone for making Jimmy & I feel right at home. The Brethren is truely a remarkable organization and we are both happy to be a part of it. Once again thanks to everyone that was so nice to us and we are looking forward to seeing you all soon and hopefully do a competition or two next year.

Dan & Jimmy

Although I only saw you for a bit, it was great having you down. Hopefully we will get together at another event when things aren't quite so hectic.

Eric

if anyone has a picture of me with the Willie B's tombstone please pm me I have had a few request for it.

Back