Question, Chuck vs Round?

leanza

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since we're into broading our horizons as they relate to time, temp, and tenderness. Would the Round primal beef cuts be typically leaner than the Chuck primals? I'm specifically instested in smoking these cuts to a "pulled" state. :biggrin:

Yes exactly...

Chuck is usually 80%/20% and a more flavorful cut..and would smoke better than a lean cut like round....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Go with chuck roasts if you want pullable beef. Just trim off the excess outside fat on the roast.

Thats how I do it.

Chucks again here for pulling, but if you want a smoked slice of heaven do a round once in a while, take it off rare to medium rare, rest it 30 minutes then cut the thinest slices you can, mound them up on a roll, a touch of horseradish and some mustard.

mmmmmmm going to have to go slice the end of the loin I cooked tonight.

Chucks again here for pulling, but if you want a smoked slice of heaven do a round once in a while, take it off rare to medium rare, rest it 30 minutes then cut the thinest slices you can, mound them up on a roll, a touch of horseradish and some mustard.

So true.....smoky roast beef cooked rare-medium rare is a treat, but for pulling your beef, the chuck can't be beat.

but for pulling your beef, the chuck can't be beat.

This is just too easy...unfortunately we're not in Woodpile! :lol:

I vote chuckies they are fantastic, we pull them & use them for taco, enchiladas, sandwiches, shepards pie...

Mm, that sounds yummy :)

Ditto here. Chucsk roast all the way for "pullable" beef.

I have never done one but what temp should a chuck roast be taken to for optimal pulling?

I do them like butts for pulling, 200 F internal.

Anywhere from 195* - 205* some are a little more stubborn than other..

Most always goes a little over 200 for me, but I guess there wouldn't be anything wrong in forking it to see if it's pulling good before taking it up the final time.

that "can't be beat" thing was plain ole funny.

I agree. Chuck to pull, top sirloin or tri-tip to smoke-roast to medium rare.

Here are some pics from the last time I cooked chuck rolls.
IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

WOW! That looks looks great! I know what I'm doing this weekend.....

Here are some pics from the last time I cooked chuck rolls.
IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

Damn, that's the way to teach prof! You have great beef on a 4 wheel drive platform.
What suprises me is how long these chucks take to smoke. You better pack a lunch and a beer and then an alarm clock.

Back