Best Pellets for that Smoky Flavor

Mattlsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I use a Traeger pellet pooper smoker and have only ever used Traeger pellets. For those who have tried or use other brands what do you use and how does the smoke taste differ? I mean do you really taste the smoke better with BBQ delight or any other brand?

I prefer BBQrs' Delight pellets. They are flavorwood blended with oak so they are a good balance of heat a smoke. The quality is exceptional as well. No 3" long pellets, very little dust.

I use a foil packet filled with dry hickory chips on top of the burner deflector to get more smoke flavor into the meat. Cheers!!!

I'll second the BBQr's Delight pellets. The fruitwood and oak will have lighter smoke flavor, but in my opinion are excellent. Also, far less ash than I've seen from Traeger pellets.

Bear Mountain , less than $10.00 for a 33lb bag from cash n carry

I have used every kind of pellet under the sun. I use bbqr's delight because I get such a good deal on them. As far as best smokey flavor, it's dang hard to beat cookinpellets 100% hickory. A close second is bbqr's delight mesquite but they make a little more ash

I have used every kind of pellet under the sun. I use bbqr's delight because I get such a good deal on them. As far as best smokey flavor, it's dang hard to beat cookinpellets 100% hickory. A close second is bbqr's delight mesquite but they make a little more ash

I agree on the cookinpellets, Aztec Rental Services on west 34th st in Houston just became a supplier for them and that is where I started picking mine up, they do not have the hickory now, but do carry the perfect mix which I think is fantastic!

I have tried almost every brand on the market. I have found lumberjack to produce the results that I like best. I have found they produce the most amount of smoke in the pellet units that I use. I have a FEC120, Yoder YS640 and a Yoder YS1320. I use 100% Mesquite pellets with 100% Hickory Pellets mixed together at home and I use 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry when I am doing competitions.

I have tried almost every brand on the market. I have found lumberjack to produce the results that I like best. I have found they produce the most amount of smoke in the pellet units that I use. I have a FEC120, Yoder YS640 and a Yoder YS1320. I use 100% Mesquite pellets with 100% Hickory Pellets mixed together at home and I use 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry when I am doing competitions.

Your reply nails the answer to the original question... :thumb:

Traeger pellets are not 100% of what you are purchasing. When you get Traeger hickory pellets the pellets are made of a blend of 30% hickory and 70% filler wood that is normally oak. I have had Traeger pellet users ask me, can you really tell the difference in wood flavors because I can't? and I reply the reason they can't tell the difference is because a large percentage of the pellet is oak and then explain Traeger's blend process.

BBQr's Delight is not 100% of what your purchasing either. Unless just like Traeger pellets you are purchasing oak pellets, then they are probably 100%.

Back