Reaction score
This was fun and easy and really tasty!

The ingredients:

1 five pound balogna
6 cheddar cheese sticks
Yellow mustard
Spice rub

Balogna1024-00001.jpg

Poke some holes with a honing steel and insert the cheese sticks. It's easier if you stick half in from each end.
Balogna1024-00002.jpg

Balogna1024-00003.jpg

Score the outside and slather with mustard.
Balogna1024-00004.jpg

Balogna1024-00005.jpg

Balogna1024-00006.jpg

Hit it with your favorite spice rub and get it on the cooker.
Balogna1024-00007.jpg

Balogna1024-00008.jpg

Balogna1024-00009.jpg

Oops! One more ingredient, after one hour, baste with some pickle juice.
Balogna1024-00010.jpg

Another hour later, and it's done. It has a nice smoky flavor and the spice goes great with the balogna and cheese. I can't wait to fry a couple of those slices and put them on a sandwich!
Balogna1024-00011.jpg

Balogna1024-00012.jpg

OK, now that's waaaay cool. The pickle juice baste is a very interesting touch.:thumb::thumb:

Looks beautiful Mister Bob! I'm not a huge fan of bologna but I'd hit that for sure! :-D

that looks wicked<what temp and how long was it on the cooker for?

About two hours at 210 degrees. I wanted to keep it low, so the cheese didn't all melt out, and the balogna is already cooked anyway. It really picked up a nice smoky flavor, I'll do it again when the leftovers are gone. In fact, I'm going to fry a few slices as soon as I'm done typing here! :-D

That's thinking outside the box, :clap2: I'm just not sure I would use my good honing steel to poke the holes. :shock::shock:

That's thinking outside the box, :clap2: I'm just not sure I would use my good honing steel to poke the holes. :shock::shock:

:confused:A honing steel is the perfect hole poker, and virtually indestructible! A quick wash and it's good as new! :thumb:

I have smoked small chubs of bologna before when camping. Have had people pass my campsite, look at whats cooking, and ask "Is that what I think it is?" My answer is yes, want to try some. And they love it. Makes a great appetizer too.:thumb:

Back