Making Rubs

Big Dan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I don't buy store bought rubs, I like to make my own, but sometimes I have small problems determining the right amounts of ingredients to use. I hate this, because I will buy a great cut of meat, but then it comes out too salty or I used too much pepper, etc. Do any of you have a method of determining how much you are going to use of this and that, or do you just dump it together and go by trial and error? I need to come up with a way of determining proper amounts to combine together. Any help?

I don't remember which episode it was, but Alton Brown had a good ratio on one of his bbq episodes of good eats. Might want to try that and adjust from there.

like already said. Record the ingrediants evry time and write down what you liked and did not. make any adjustments and repeat the process until you have what you like.

I have not made any rub since I started using Oakridge products. I still use my own brines.

So trial and error?

For the most part, yes.

Use tablespoons, or if you know you're going to be making a reasonable batch, you can use 1/4 cups.

If it's say, too salty, add everything except the salt, and taste again. Having coffee nearby will help, as it tends to "reset" your palette in-between tastings.

Try to go easy on things like cayenne, cumin, or any other strong spices, as going a little overboard might take many applications of the others to balance it back out.

Once you have it the way you like, just keep track of the parts, and multiply to make however much rub you'll be using. Easy enough to do.

After the basics, like kosher salt, you might wanna pick up some of the more exciting spices to experiment with....

- Turbinado Sugar instead of regular
- Different pepper powders (habanero, jalapeno, etc)
- Granulated honey
- Different dry mustards
- etc.

I don't remember which episode it was, but Alton Brown had a good ratio on one of his bbq episodes of good eats. Might want to try that and adjust from there.

Alton Brown's ratio was 8-3-1-1. Here is the basic recipe that he showed on the show...

8 T brown sugar
3 T kosher salt
1 T chili powder
1 T spices (broken down below)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t jalapeno seasoning
1/2 t Old Bay
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t onion powder

For the most part, yes.

Use tablespoons, or if you know you're going to be making a reasonable batch, you can use 1/4 cups.

If it's say, too salty, add everything except the salt, and taste again. Having coffee nearby will help, as it tends to "reset" your palette in-between tastings.

Try to go easy on things like cayenne, cumin, or any other strong spices, as going a little overboard might take many applications of the others to balance it back out.

Once you have it the way you like, just keep track of the parts, and multiply to make however much rub you'll be using. Easy enough to do.

After the basics, like kosher salt, you might wanna pick up some of the more exciting spices to experiment with....

- Turbinado Sugar instead of regular
- Different pepper powders (habanero, jalapeno, etc)
- Granulated honey
- Different dry mustards
- etc.
Thanks Funky. Good stuff.

I don't buy store bought rubs, I like to make my own, but sometimes I have small problems determining the right amounts of ingredients to use. I hate this, because I will buy a great cut of meat, but then it comes out too salty or I used too much pepper, etc. Do any of you have a method of determining how much you are going to use of this and that, or do you just dump it together and go by trial and error? I need to come up with a way of determining proper amounts to combine together. Any help?
Here's the basic recipe that I found some time ago that I have tweaked here and there to make mine with. I can't remember where I found it since I only kept the text and not the title or the site that it came from, but it is a good basic rub that you can tailor to your own taste.
Makes. About half a cup
Preparation time. About 10 minutes
Ingredients
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

This is good on almost everything. I usually smoke poblano peppers, dry them on the dehydrator and grind them for the chili powder and I add a little more garlic than the recipe calls for.:wink:

I use trial n error, i also taste before i use it usually adding a lil something

1c salt (use 2 different kinds)
1c sugar
.5c paprika
up to .25c chili powder
up to .25c pepper
2 tsp total of whatever you like
up to.25tsp of heat
This is a basic one that I got at a bbq class. Ive tweaked it a little and removed the sugar. But it gives a good place to start.

Being in Texas I go 5/3 coarse pepper to salt BUT if that doesn't do it, I have no worries adding some Head Country and all is good!:thumb:

PS. Don't tell that Flay guy or Emeril, Neelys. Etc. lol

I take the flavors that i like. And use equel amonts then say i like paprica if i can't taste it i add more (but record it).And so on and so forth. I can't hold a candle to these guy's and gal's but that is the way i do it

By the way when i first done this i had a big bowl that took me a long time to use ....

I had a breakthrough moment with my rubs when I learned that you need to consider the surface area to meat ratio. A rub that is great on butts or briskets might be way too salty on ribs or steaks. Generally, I use a lot less salt in my rib rub than in my butt and brisket rubs.

Alton Brown's ratio was 8-3-1-1. Here is the basic recipe that he showed on the show...

8 T brown sugar
3 T kosher salt
1 T chili powder
1 T spices (broken down below)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t jalapeno seasoning
1/2 t Old Bay
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t onion powder
That sounds good, thanks!

1c salt (use 2 different kinds)
1c sugar
.5c paprika
up to .25c chili powder
up to .25c pepper
2 tsp total of whatever you like
up to.25tsp of heat
This is a basic one that I got at a bbq class. Ive tweaked it a little and removed the sugar. But it gives a good place to start.
Hey dude, I'm originally from ST Paul, born and raised.

This is a very good rub from donnie.
My family likes it better than anything i have purchased.
jon

Butt Glitter Sprinkle
* courtesy of PItmaster'T"

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

It is great to make your own rubs, but you should try some of the professional rubs. You are robbing yourself of sampling some great flavor profiles. If you are concerned about high salt/sugar content try the OakRidge BBQ Rub line-up.

When you find a great rub, you can always duplicate it as closely as possible. Like Lake Dogs stated, keep a log of your recipe and every change made. This will guide you through making and modifying a great rub.

There is also an article on making rubs in the current issue of smoke signals magazine available on this site (page 34).
http://issue15.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

Back